Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Virus/Malware installed through website?

I need some help with this issue.

I visited weartesters.com which is a site that I frequent from my desktop and phone, but today I got a pop saying that my cell phone had a virus on it. Keep in find that this was the first time ever that I received this kind of message while visiting the website.

I tried to back out of the website, but then a "download" status bar showed up on the webpage. Before it could finish, I managed to close the browser. I checked my apps and scanned my phone using Avast and Malware bytes, but found nothing. My phone hasn't been acting funny either. I did clear the cache from the Recovery screen.

Any advice or insight to this would be greatly appreciated.

Phone is a HTC M8 and I was using Google Chrome.

Global Posts
    4,356 Global Posts
    ROM
    CandyKat 4.4.4

Default Re: Virus/Malware installed through website?

Quote Originally Posted by BBcase8900 View Post
    I need some help with this issue.

I visited weartesters.com which is a site that I frequent from my desktop and phone, but today I got a pop saying that my cell phone had a virus on it. Keep in find that this was the first time ever that I received this kind of message while visiting the website.

I tried to back out of the website, but then a "download" status bar showed up on the webpage. Before it could finish, I managed to close the browser. I checked my apps and scanned my phone using Avast and Malware bytes, but found nothing. My phone hasn't been acting funny either. I did clear the cache from the Recovery screen.

Any advice or insight to this would be greatly appreciated.

Phone is a HTC M8 and I was using Google Chrome.
    There are ads that pop up saying you have a virus when in reality you don't. Clearing the cache won't do much, so you can check your downloads folder to see if you have anything fishy. If Avast or Malwarebytes didn't find anything, then you most likely do not have anything malicious on your phone.
    "The glow of one warm thought is to me worth more than money." - Thomas Jefferson

My One X has served its time...now it's the Note 4's turn
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Thank you for the tip

I checked my downloads folder and didn't find anything.

Where do these pop-ups come from? When I go to the website through a computer, I do not get anything. Is it coming from an app?

Global Posts
    4,356 Global Posts
    ROM
    CandyKat 4.4.4

Quote Originally Posted by BBcase8900 View Post
    Thank you for the tip

I checked my downloads folder and didn't find anything.

Where do these pop-ups come from? When I go to the website through a computer, I do not get anything. Is it coming from an app?
    Maybe. It's usually from the website itself. Do you have adblock on your computer?

And while we're discussing adblock, you could try to use firefox and add the adblock plug-in to see if it blocks the malicious ad.
    "The glow of one warm thought is to me worth more than money." - Thomas Jefferson

My One X has served its time...now it's the Note 4's turn