Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By peacefulberry
  • 1 Post By peacefulberry
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Android vs Windows phone

Which mobile operating system is considered safer?

Sent from my Moto G using AC Forums mobile app

Default Re: Android vs Windows phone

Safer from hacking? Something else?

Mav.

I am polymerized tree sap and you are an inorganic adhesive, so whatever verbal projectile you launch in my direction is reflected off me, returns on its original trajectory and adheres to you.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Yes from hacking I'm terms of viruses and such. Like apps requiring certain permissions like android. How does a windows phone operating system work?

Quote Originally Posted by Poltergeist93 View Post
    Yes from hacking I'm terms of viruses and such. Like apps requiring certain permissions like android. How does a windows phone operating system work?

I believe apps are generally sandboxed (protected from the phone's root directory) on both platforms. The risk comes mostly in rooting, which windows phones are not able to do at the moment. On android when a phone is rooted, the user has access and permissions to use the phone's root directory. This is why rooting should be done for specific reasons by those that are knowledgeable of both pros and cons of rooting. If an app with superuser full permissions compromises the phone's security, then there is definitely a problem. I am a windows phone user and I've always felt that windows phone was safer until i used android for myself. Apps have the same types of permissions on both platforms. Microsoft is no stranger to viruses and security issues either (even though I haven't seen viruses on wp.)

Bottom line is that if you install trusted apps on an unrooted device, I don't feel as though one platform is safer than the other.
    Thanked by:
    Poltergeist93 likes this.

I forgot to mention a few points:

1. Android is a more customizable os, so you will be able to protect or mess up your device greater than an os with slim customizable options.
    2. There is presently no way to deny certain app permissions on windows phone, whereas there are apps on android to help with this.
    3. Android has over 1 million more apps than windows phone, so the amount of security flawed apps will be significantly higher than wp.
    Thanked by:
    Poltergeist93 likes this.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Quote Originally Posted by peacefulberry View Post
    I forgot to mention a few points:

1. Android is a more customizable os, so you will be able to protect or mess up your device greater than an os with slim customizable options.
    2. There is presently no way to deny certain app permissions on windows phone, whereas there are apps on android to help with this.
    3. Android has over 1 million more apps than windows phone, so the amount of security flawed apps will be significantly higher than wp.
    Thank you very much! You answered my question perfectly!