Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    Banned

Global Posts
    97 Global Posts

Default Privacy hypocrisy

What's the number one thing android detractors love to parrot each other about? Google services and privacy. Yet these same people:

Own and use credit cards,
    Use a PC connected to the internet,
    Subscribe to an ISP,
    Are quite well known to their government revenue agencies,
    Have a social security number or equivalent,
    Shop online,
    Go about their daily business in a city littered with CCTV cameras,
    Probably forgetting 20 other things on this list.

But because people are what they are, when some writer decides to jump on this hypocrisy bandwagon because the rotating banner ads on their website can benefit from a few more views, then all of a sudden omg smartphones. Seems pretty naive to have a dozen holes in your privacy to complain about one just because you seem to have lost the ability to think for yourself. It's far more likely that after I'm dead in 40 years, nothing whatsoever is ever going to have come of me using Google services.

Global Posts
    19,853 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

Default Re: Privacy hypocrisy

Those are some valid points. Another user brought up the fact that the phone book outright tells someone where anyone lives with a landline.

Phone Timeline
    'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Community Guidelines and also here

Default Re: Privacy hypocrisy

Davehow, I think you can clearly see the difference between every security risk on your list, and Google?
    Google actively and openly records every piece of information it can get its hands on. It's not a security risk because it can be hacked - it's a security risk because people insanely trust a megacorporation (and to me, a foreign megacorporation) with every piece of communication they engage in - as well as their geographic movement over time. There has never, ever been a greater threat to security or a greater invasion of privacy than this.
    "It's far more likely that after I'm dead in 40 years, nothing whatsoever is ever going to have come of me using Google services"
    I don't think you have the faintest idea what this information can or will be used for, in your lifetime or beyond it. The scope for criminal activity, abuse, repression, and control of individuals is mindblowing. And there isn't a public corporation on the planet that doesn't place profit above all other interests.

Throughout history, vast numbers of people have been screwed when they trusted anyone to protect or champion their common interests. That's not how the world has ever worked. If people open themselves up to manipulation and abuse - it will certainly happen. It already is happening.