What is this random suspicious Security Policy Update in Google Play?

jadev97

Nov 20, 2014
Visit site
Random suspicious Security Policy Update in Google Play....

Okay, so I looked at my updates for my apps in the Google Play Store and I found this weird update. It claims that it is from Samsung OTA Software Update, and it's called SECURITY POLICY UPDATES. I don't know why Samsung would update the security in the play store, so that is why I'm a little bit suspicious of this app. I cannot uninstall it (there is no button, and there it does not appear in the application manager). The ratings on this "app" are like 2.5 stars and people are suspicious about it too. I don't even know how it got on my phone. Is there anyone else who has seen this? If so, what should I do? I will not update it, but it is kind of annoying in the update list. I'm afraid it will try to update on its own, and I also can't press update all, which is annoying.

tberman333

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
Re: Random suspicious Security Policy Update in Google Play....

Does anyone know what this is and if it should be applied (or is it malware)?

Les T

Nov 20, 2014
Visit site

DO NOT INSTALL THIS UPDATE!!!!

Just spoke with Samsung. They verified with Google this is NOT an official security policy update.

These updates will not/do not come through the Play Store.

Just wanted to let everyone know what I found out.

Danny X-Ray

Jan 29, 2014
Visit site

This mechanism is pre-installed on all Samsung phones. It handles "security policy updates", whatever that's supposed to be. What's being updated at the Play Store is the actual mechanism itself, which updates those security policies. No need to worry. As is also true with Google, we either trust Samsung or we don't. If they wanted to secretly spy on us, they would have far more discrete methods of doing so.

X-9 = 2B^3

Danny X-Ray

Jan 29, 2014
Visit site

DO NOT INSTALL THIS UPDATE!!!!

Just spoke with Samsung. They verified with Google this is NOT an official security policy update.

These updates will not/do not come through the Play Store.

Just wanted to let everyone know what I found out.

Now that's interesting, because my research shows Samsung acknowledging its validity! So wait one day. If Samsung determines that this is a forgery, they'll be contacting Google immediately. The update will be taken down with haste. If it's still there tomorrow, rest assured that it is valid.

X-9 = 2B^3

Les T

Nov 20, 2014
Visit site

That is interesting! Not starting a war on words here. Just want to relay what I was told. The Samsung rep put me on hold. Stated he spoke with Google, and they said it was not real. He said, this is under the heading of unsupported third party updates not supported by Samsung/Google.

This will be interesting to see what is real here, huh?

Shame when we can't even trust our own support folks.

Never seen a policy update via the play store. That is why I called them to begin with.

Danny X-Ray

Jan 29, 2014
Visit site

Hey, my info could be entirely wrong. I've never seen this kind of update either. Yet if it is indeed fake, I should think Google will have it down pretty darn fast.

X-9 = 2B^3

DavdEBSmith

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site

This is the update in the Play Store:

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...e/apps/details?id=com.policydm&token=xWTzFu_q

If it's fake, it's a whole new level of fake, coming out as an app update notification from the Play Store, and if this is fake, you can't trust anything from the Play Store.

If it's not a fake, Samsung sure could have written the description better.

jadev97

Nov 20, 2014
Visit site

Thanks for your feedback everyone. Good News though: It has disappeared from the play store and my updates! Which can only really mean one thing: it was most likely a virus or malware of some sort.

Jony 3435

Nov 21, 2014
Visit site

I came across this thing on my Samsung too. Thank you for all your advice.

DavdEBSmith

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site

It's not disappeared from the Play Store. If it was a virus or malware it's unlikely it would just disappear from your updates. If it was malware coming through the Play Store it would be a historic attack. So it's most likely just a clumsily-applied update from Samsung.

GeenoMeneghino

Nov 21, 2014
Visit site

Thanks for your feedback everyone. Good News though: It has disappeared from the play store and my updates! Which can only really mean one thing: it was most likely a virus or malware of some sort.

Be careful, it might still be there... in the play store, check "my apps -> all" and scroll down. In my case, it still is listed

Les T

Nov 20, 2014
Visit site
That's just it. If it is a fake, what harm can it do?

If we cannot trust the authenticity of the apps/updates from the Play Store, well; I don't know what to say.

It would certainly be a little disconcerting having to call support each time an update arrives to verify it's authenticity. Don't know about you, but I have apps that sometimes update daily.

Worse yet, if these are fakes, are our mobile security apps of any use against them?

PLEASE don't get panicked. I am sure someone is addressing this issue and we will get some positive and encouraging news about it.

I am just not going to allow security policies updates from the play store. Will manually check for them in the settings | my device area.

This is just weird.

monsieurms

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site
If we cannot trust the authenticity of the apps/updates from the Play Store, well; I don't know what to say.

Amazon has always said that one of the differences between it and PlayStore is that Amazon apps are vetted more carefully...

raptir

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site
I don't think so. No one even mentioned the harm it can do.

Well, the application has access to a lot of permissions, including recording audio, taking pictures/video, modifying/reading your contacts, reading your web history, drawing over other apps (which can be used to "spoof" input boxes)... in theory it could gather a lot of information on you.

That said, I'm thinking it's more and more likely to be a legitimate app. First, I find it hard to believe that someone could have obtained Samsung's signing key without it being a bigger deal. Second, they've now added it to their own Samsung GALAXY Apps appstore, and it is coming from the same account as updates to S Health and etc... on there.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andrewsmith