Anyone seen this before?

Adam Forster

Sep 21, 2015
Visit site
I have a nexus 6, latest 5.1.1 firmware. Recently updated from 5.0 after being rooted. I have few apps or data on the phone since it was a fresh install flashed to the phone.

Occasionally I get a pop up asking me to install Instagram and it wants access to my calls and contacts, I already have Instagram so I knew it was malicious. Did some digging with a file explorer and found a folder in the downloads called silence which contained Instagram.apk and twitter.apk . I deleted this and installed avast. Avast picked up nothing but the silence folder returned this time with link.apk which was attempting to install requesting the same permissions. This request is happening every half hour and I can't seem to get a root cause.

Short of resetting to factory I'm stuck?

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to the forums. Have you tried clearing your browser cache? Is unknown sources off in settings?

Adam Forster

Sep 21, 2015
Visit site
I've just tried a chrome cache delete will let you know if it resolves this, already wiped system cache via bootloader

Posted via the Android Central App

Bruce39

Dec 30, 2014
Visit site
Would suggest using Malwarebytes. If that doesn't work than run Addons Detector (both can be found on Play Store). Addons Detector is kind of confusing, so when open app go to "help". If neither solves problem, Malwarebytes.org has a forum plus other info; they can help if you can't solve the problem yourself.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals37