SWM downloaded but still can't download apps from Amazon Appstore

PinkLily

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
I managed to download the Sideload Wonder Machine for my AT&T Samsung Captivate. (Check "allow mock applications" in Development << after many many failed attempts, finally, I did this and it worked.) And this, in turn, downloaded the Amazon Appstore onto my device. I'm trying to download Angry Birds Rio, but after the application has downloaded, I'm still getting the standard AT&T "Install Blocked" message "For security, your phone is set to block installation of applications not sourced in Android Market."

What am I doing wrong? Any help greatly appreciated! Thank you!

PinkLily

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
You're not doing anything wrong :)

AT&T's block on third party apps keeps the Amazon store from working as it should. I'm working on an easy tutorial, for now here are the instructions:
[How-To] Use the Amazon App Store with the Sideload Wonder Machine [W-I-P] - Android Forums

Thank you for the reply!

However, I think I might have to wait for the "easy tutorial" because I have no idea what "dropbox" and "Astro" are or how to find "/mnt/sdcard/Android/data/com.amazon.venezia/cache" on my phone. Unless someone can enlighten me...???

Also, my phone is not rooted (no plans to do so), if that makes any difference. I'm a bit of a newbie (have only had this phone for a few months)...

duping812

Apr 1, 2011
Visit site

jd914

Banned
Feb 3, 2010
Visit site
I just installed Angry Birds rio, Swift key and Weatherbug Elite from the Amazon app store, here what you have to do:

Plug in your device to your computer
enable USB Mass Storage
Launch AC SWM
Select Choose APK
Navigate to Computer
Choose your devices storage location (mine is Drive E)
Navigate to Android>Data>com.amazon.venezia>cache (downloaded amazon app should be there)
highlight apk file and select open
on AC SWM select install

Your Amazon Appstore file is installed

Good luck!!! :)

BTW No root needed

Last edited:

pazzo02

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
I just installed Angry Birds rio, Swift key and Weatherbug Elite from the Amazon app store, here what you have to do:

Plug in your device to your computer
enable USB Mass Storage
Launch AC SWM
Select Choose APK
Navigate to Computer
Choose your devices storage location (mine is Drive E)
Navigate to Android>Data>com.amazon.venezia>cache (downloaded amazon app should be there)
highlight apk file and select open
on AC SWM select install

Your Amazon Appstore file is installed

Good luck!!! :)

BTW No root needed

I'll have to try this to see if it works on my Inspire. I thought the device had to be set to charge only when running SWM.

pazzo02

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
jd914's method works without a hitch. Only thing I would add are these pre-steps:
>When you find the app you want on Amazon appstore, click the install button.
>It will download and try to install, but you'll get the error message that it's not allowed.
>Click cancel. At this point the .apk file will be in the afore mentioned cache folder.

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
There's a reason I don't recommend this :)

Later, about half of the people who do it this way will start saying they can't update apps from the Amazon app store through the SWM, and installing them like this is why.

Apps can't get installed to your SD card when you've got it mounted. Big apps like games are marked for SD card storage, but end up in app storage. So you'll be poking around one day and see that 15 MB of Angry birds can be moved to SD and you'll do it.

And then you'll have a corrupted file in .android_secure, and updates will fail until you fix it. A very patient and kind fellow and his Backflip helped me test this over, and over, and over.

Do yourself a favor -- copy the apks to your computer, and install them without the SD card mounted :)

I recommend using Dropbox versus mass storage transfer, only because some of the drivers and their goofy software suites *cough Motorola cough* will give you did not ack errors trying to run adb if you haven't unplugged the phone, then plugged it back in. Nobody's going to remember that :)

.Aaron

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
There's a reason I don't recommend this :)

Later, about half of the people who do it this way will start saying they can't update apps from the Amazon app store through the SWM, and installing them like this is why.

Apps can't get installed to your SD card when you've got it mounted. Big apps like games are marked for SD card storage, but end up in app storage. So you'll be poking around one day and see that 15 MB of Angry birds can be moved to SD and you'll do it.

And then you'll have a corrupted file in .android_secure, and updates will fail until you fix it. A very patient and kind fellow and his Backflip helped me test this over, and over, and over.

Do yourself a favor -- copy the apks to your computer, and install them without the SD card mounted :)

I recommend using Dropbox versus mass storage transfer, only because some of the drivers and their goofy software suites *cough Motorola cough* will give you did not ack errors trying to run adb if you haven't unplugged the phone, then plugged it back in. Nobody's going to remember that :)

Thanks for your insight and I see where you are coming from but there is NO WAY to install any app on the HTC Inspire without it being rooted. And rooting my phone entices and scares me at the sametime. I hate providers lock phones down so much. But there is no way to install an app without mounting the SD card.