[How-To] Use the Amazon Appstore with the Sideload Wonder Machine

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
It's possible to use the SWM to sideload apps from the Amazon app store, but it's not easy or straightforward. This tutorial should get you started, and we all hope that AT&T and Amazon can get their collective stuff together and fix it the right way.

Tools you'll need:
A Dropbox account.
The Dropbox Windows client
The Android Dropbox client
An Android file explorer. Astro is free, and is what I'm using in this tutorial, but others may work.

Step One:
Download and install the Dropbox Windows client.
Open the Dropbox program on your PC, and make a folder named "Amazon"
Install the Android Dropbox client, and sign in.
Open the Android Dropbox client, and verify that you see the Amazon folder.
Install Astro (or other file manager) and play with it a few minutes to learn how to navigate.

Step Two:
Open the Amazon app store on your Android phone, and choose the file you want to install.

15x5vr6.jpg

When you see the Amazon app store launch the Android installer, DO NOT press install. Instead, hit the Home button to push it to the background.

2m5yqlz.jpg

Step Three
On your phone, open the Dropbox application, and make sure you're in the Amazon folder. Press the "menu" button on your phone, then the "Upload" button that pops up in the Dropbox app.

2h6vo80.jpg

A new dialog box will open. Choose "Any File", then another new dialog will open. Choose "Astro" from this one.

2hhls7n.jpg

Astro will open. You need to navigate to the following folder on your SD card:
Code:
/mnt/sdcard/Android/data/com.amazon.venezia/cache
In this folder will be the .apk file you just downloaded. There may be other files in this folder, so look at the date and time to determine which one you just downloaded from the Amazon app store. Yes, the naming convention is very unfriendly, but we can't do anything about that. Long press on the correct file, and it will upload to your Dropbox in the "Amazon" folder.

16atixd.jpg

Step Four
On your computer, you can open your Dropbox folder, open the Amazon folder, and the .apk file will be there. Use the SWM to install this .apk the normal way.

2qcmttv.jpg

Once you're finished installing your app, you can delete the original .apk file in
/mnt/sdcard/Android/data/com.amazon.venezia/cache. You should also manually close the Amazon app store and Android Installer app through the Manage Applications settings, or just reboot your phone. I hope this helps someone.

Dnorwood

Apr 1, 2011
Visit site
Isn't it just as easy to copy the .apk from the cache on the phone through the usb and then install using SWM? I have had a lot of success using this method.

duping812

Apr 1, 2011
Visit site
thanks for the instruction. I just got appstore installed on my atrix. But there is a typo needed to correct: the first appstore apk is in this folder
/mnt/sdcard/download/Amazon_Appstore-release.apk

while the following apps downloaded from appstore will be here
/mnt/sdcard/Android/data/com.amazon.venezia/cache/

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
thanks for the instruction. I just got appstore installed on my atrix. But there is a typo needed to correct: the first appstore apk is in this folder
/mnt/sdcard/download/Amazon_Appstore-release.apk

while the following apps downloaded from appstore will be here
/mnt/sdcard/Android/data/com.amazon.venezia/cache/

Yes, this thread is for people who have installed the Amazon app store but are having difficulties loading the apps. The Amazon app store itself will install like any other application via the SWM

JRBaker42420

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
Install Failed Insufficient Storage

Ref: Problem on Samsung Captivate (AT&T)

Somehow I managed to use the Sideload Wonder Machine application and successfully installed the Amazon Appstore, and then successfully installed Angry Birds Rio.

Now I am trying to install an update to the Appstore. Every time I try, I get an error message, as follows:

Failure [INSTALL_FAILED_INSUFFICIENT_STORAGE]

I cleared my browser cache and have the default storage location set to 'Memory card'.

Personal data is 14.85MB/127MB. There is plenty of space on both the internal and external SD cards.

Do you have any suggestions on what to try?

Thanks!

jp47

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
I used sideload to install amazon appstore.apk to my phone from my pc. i simply moved it from the download folder on my atrix 4g to my laptop where i had installed androidcentral's sideload..i then used sideload to install to my phone where i have been getting free apps from amazon every day. they strore them under a folder
'Android/data/com.amazon.venezia/cache'. I havn't figured their naming scheme but they are any files found there with a '.apk' extension. Just pick those newly downloaded to be loaded. It's really pretty easy. A sample file name is: vnz46288.apk...

Yes but you can use the method i described, download the Amazon app to your phone (ignore the security update) and then use sideload to install those app by copying them to a pc and using sideload to install them. It works great. The updates are trickier.

Last edited:

erwaso

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
Ref: Problem on Samsung Captivate (AT&T)

Somehow I managed to use the Sideload Wonder Machine application and successfully installed the Amazon Appstore, and then successfully installed Angry Birds Rio.

Now I am trying to install an update to the Appstore. Every time I try, I get an error message, as follows:

Failure [INSTALL_FAILED_INSUFFICIENT_STORAGE]

I cleared my browser cache and have the default storage location set to 'Memory card'.

Personal data is 14.85MB/127MB. There is plenty of space on both the internal and external SD cards.

Do you have any suggestions on what to try?

Thanks!

i get the same message. it keeps trying to save the files to INTERNAL MEMORY and cant get it to save to sd card .... any solutions?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
steve1084