Is Google just throwing things at the wall? (Google TV, Nexus Q, Chromecast, Android TV)

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Seems like Google need some sort of focus in the living room. Google TV, Nexus Q, Chromecast, now Android TV?

It feels like Android TV is for those that don't want to use phones and tablets to control the experience (see Chromecast). And if they end up using "Android" in the name, how open of a platform will this be?

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Perhaps it is an instance where Google might have something this time around. As you introduce products, they typically get better. Although, a little more exposure to them might help. How many people have no idea what the Nexus Q does?

ChuckG73

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
Google is trying to solve for a problem of having Android in the living room, they are not throwing things at the wall but instead creating better solutions. The Nexus Q was great and obviously they used what they learned from that to create the Chromecast. I am going to imagine that Android TV is not the answer but another step in the right direction, something that combines the goodness of Google TV and Chromecast while slimming down the interfaces and creating a nicer user experience. Chromecast will still be relevant as an inexpensive mobile solution for casting to a television and one that I am sure will continue to evolve. Android TV in my opinion, will replace my Google TV.

Bigballer

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Imagine if Android TV comes out and Google decides to abandon chromecast *cough cough* like Nexus Q *cough cough*

I am just getting tired of buying products from Google and getting little to no feedback later on when a new tech gizmo comes out and Google decides to abandon us i.e. Galaxy nexus users. Apple is still giving the iphone 4 support, a device released 4 years ago!!!!

I find it really really really annoying and unprofessional that Google keeps on abandoning their products.

Back then, If my dvd player or VCR or stereo didn't receive updates, it would be fine and still be functional. But damn, now I have to get updates just so the stupid product will work, and sometimes the manufacturer sends a "dead" update that often bricks my damn product.

Last edited:

zkSharks

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
Google TV was a good product, and an early one, albeit with some performance and stability issues. The Nexus Q was pulled because it had a high price point for delivering relatively few features, and placing a bowling ball-like streaming device in your living room isn't the flexible, adaptable solution that I think they were looking for. The Cast system is exactly that, and it works very well. Android TV is essentially Google TV reborn to fit the current image of their products and services, and I don't see any issue with it existing alongside the Cast sytem. To me, Android TV sounds like a great Cast receiver device.

These are very relevant...

The basics: How Google TV differs from Chromecast | Android Central
What the Chromecast is - and isn't | Android Central
Why Android TV and Chromecast Should Coexist - TIME

Why do I still want a Nexus Q? There's just something about it I guess... anyways, go take a look at this: How we'd improve the Nexus Q | Android Central

I'd say the combination of Android TV and Google Cast cover that list pretty well.

theduder

May 9, 2011
Visit site
Imagine if Android TV comes out and Google decides to abandon chromecast *cough cough* like Nexus Q *cough cough*

I am just getting tired of buying products from Google and getting little to no feedback later on when a new tech gizmo comes out and Google decides to abandon us i.e. Galaxy nexus users. Apple is still giving the iphone 4 support, a device released 4 years ago!!!!

I find it really really really annoying and unprofessional that Google keeps on abandoning their products.

Back then, If my dvd player or VCR or stereo didn't receive updates, it would be fine and still be functional. But damn, now I have to get updates just so the stupid product will work, and sometimes the manufacturer sends a "dead" update that often bricks my damn product.

First, Google has clear support policy which is 18 months. It never supports devices less than that, and regularly extends past that.

The Q was given to people who ordered it -for free- because Google saw the writing on the wall. Also, the Q started life as Project Tungsten which started life as a device to deliver the functionality of the stillborn Android@Home initiative. It wasn't really supposed to be a more than home automation and a music/video extender.

Look, I have an original Revue. That landed 4 years ago. Forget that that's a long time. The truth of the matter is that the hardware can't even run Honeycomb well (current Google TV version)! It was way more stable on Eclair. I would offer the opinion that for the majority of Google TV hardware out there, an update would be crippling or else functionality would have to be neutered in order to meet minimum performance expectations.

Like it or not, the best mantra for tech is "buy early, buy often".

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Bigballer

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
First, Google has clear support policy which is 18 months. It never supports devices less than that, and regularly extends past that.

The Q was given to people who ordered it -for free- because Google saw the writing on the wall. Also, the Q started life as Project Tungsten which started life as a device to deliver the functionality of the stillborn Android@Home initiative. It wasn't really supposed to be a more than home automation and a music/video extender.

Look, I have an original Revue. That landed 4 years ago. Forget that that's a long time. The truth of the matter is that the hardware can't even run Honeycomb well (current Google TV version)! It was way more stable on Eclair. I would offer the opinion that for the majority of Google TV hardware out there, an update would be crippling or else functionality would have to be neutered in order to meet minimum performance expectations.

Like it or not, the best mantra for tech is "buy early, buy often".

that's not an official rule look at the phones that are only a year old yet still do not have 4.4

theduder

May 9, 2011
Visit site
that's not an official rule look at the phones that are only a year old yet still do not have 4.4

Well that's different. That's manufacturer suckage. I was addressing the original poster's claim that Google abandoned the Galaxy Nexus.

They actually made the statement at I/O a few years ago that they would officially support updates for handsets for 18 months.

Bigballer

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Well that's different. That's manufacturer suckage. I was addressing the original poster's claim that Google abandoned the Galaxy Nexus.

They actually made the statement at I/O a few years ago that they would officially support updates for handsets for 18 months.

That 18 months statement was from years ago.

Even then, me and you both know 18 months isn't enough for adequate security software updates (i.e. new android version) and possibly to fix some breaks.

theduder

May 9, 2011
Visit site
That 18 months statement was from years ago.

Even then, me and you both know 18 months isn't enough for adequate security software updates (i.e. new android version) and possibly to fix some breaks.

I still think they officially support for 18 months but I agree it's not enough when US mobile carriers expect you to keep the same phone for 2 years. I personally buy a new one each year - we use our phones so much I think it's worth it but I understand that many may not wish to do that.

Bigballer

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
I still think they officially support for 18 months but I agree it's not enough when US mobile carriers expect you to keep the same phone for 2 years. I personally buy a new one each year - we use our phones so much I think it's worth it but I understand that many may not wish to do that.

It's the older crowd that tend not to upgrade their phone every 2 years and it's going to be more and more common with everyone as carriers are eliminating their traditonal 2 year contract subsidies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawncompton