Android Wear & Samsung

chefmorry

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
With the announcement of Android Wear by Google, I'm curious how Samsung is going to fit into this puzzle.

Samsung has already announced the Gear 2 line, only compatible with Samsung devices. I wonder, where Samsung is listed as one of the partners of Android Wear, if they may release another line of watches based on Android Wear and Google now.

I was very much looking forward to purchasing a Gear 2 and an S5 in a couple of weeks, but now I'm definitely going to wait for more info on these new watches.

I imagine more details will leak to keep some people from purchasing the gear 2 to wait for the other devices.

Posted via Android Central App

CrackBerry Kevin

Mobile Nations Chief Media Officer
Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Completely agree. It's kind of confusing.

As a consumer, now that Android Wear is announced, I would take the Gear 2 off my shopping list and wait for the Moto 360 or another Android Wear watch to my liking.

Samsung knows how to move fast though. So even if they weren't working on something actively too much before today, you know they have the people to ramp up quick. I wouldn't expect to see them concede to guys like Moto or LG.

But kind of an odd situation.

int_architect

May 15, 2010
Visit site
I agree with everyone here so far. Will be really interesting to see what Samsung does with the design of future wearables. The Gear and Gear 2 didn't appeal to me from an aesthetic perspective. The Gear Fit hit my design sweet spot, save for the option to rotate the orientation.

N3 via AC App

chefmorry

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
I'm just as interested in function as I am in design.

Granted I don't want something hideous looking on my wrist, but as a happy owner of a galaxy gear, I think Samsung has failed in lack of apps being released.

On SmartWatch Fans I'm forever seeing reviews on apps that are being released for the Pebble. The hardware is there on the gear.

I hope that Samsung's new patent relationship with Google will bring more to their watches.

I possibly see Samsung having their Tizen line that is S-Voive oriented like their current watches (including the Gear2) and a second line that will be more oriented to Google now. Maybe Android Wear will allow developers to create apps for watches that will work on ALL Android Wear related hardware, regardless of manufacture.

Newblackelit3

Jul 25, 2013
Visit site
IMO I think samsung is in a little bit of trouble. Now the smart watch market is about explode and get really huge due to android wear and they've already played their hand with the Gear 2, Neo, and Fit. So unless they of course allow android wear to be on a gear 2 or neo I think that they are gonna lose out. I actually kind of liked the gear but I couldn't get one cause I have a nexus 5. I think android users take pride in having choices in which to use their favorite OS so I think it was a mistake by samsung to try to be exclusive like apple and make it so their watches only work on their phones. I think they lost a lot of android fans by doing that. I just want a smart watch. I don't wanna be told what phone to use it with.

1966cah

Sep 24, 2010
Visit site
Agreed. Samsung's appstore coupled with the Gears' device limitations have contributed a lot to the hate-on-Samsung vibe amongst a lot of Android enthusiasts, precisely because it smacks of an apple-y lock-in move. I would hazard a guess that Moto and LG are both going to offer devices that work for everyone, including Samsung phones, at a much lower price point. I think the turning point for smartwatches may be here, and if we see the kind of app development for Wear that I am hoping for, the Gears will not really have anything to offer over the competition.

That being said, Samsung may simply retool the Gear line in a bid to remain relevant, and they have the resources to do so...

MasterElwood

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
Can Android wear make calls? The didn't show it in the video...

Also: IP67? Heart rate monitor? 3rd party apps?

All things the Gear can do...

prodigal27

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I know it's a stretch, but I really hope Samsung will create Android Wear for the Gear 2. The Gear app store sucks, and the Wear dev community will rock on just like the Nexus community did.

Also, the Gear 2 has the same RAM and storage. The processor is different, but I hope they can still port it.

MasterElwood

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
Calm down Mr. Fanboy....

You don't understand. Yes - i love my neo. But I ditch it in a sec. for a really good AW watch. But i am afraid AW will have the better software - and Samsung the better hardware. And then what.

Sent from my SM-G900F using AC Forums mobile app

NoFaQ

Mar 26, 2014
Visit site
I really hope they do something with the Gear 2/Neo. I just bought one and I really like it. It's features hit what the core of what I want in a smartwatch. But, I also don't want a dead technology with the Tizen based watches. Luckily, I'm still in my return period, so I'll be watching next week, and if necessary I'll return it for an Android Wear watch, since there will be a larger development for the watch.

Plus, after using the Gear 2 Neo taking calls, this is a must have feature for any watch I get in the future. It really is fantastic and clear.

YAYTech

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
I think Samsung REALLY wants a big chunk of the wearables market, so they're shotgunning the marketplace with a variety of devices, hoping at least one or two will take off. Just look at what Samsung does with tablets - they have a bunch of models, sometimes not really that different from each other, and often not really at the cutting edge, but they're pushing them hard. And the result? They have a lot of tablet market share.

I think they're also testing the waters and trying to work on an exit strategy or plan B with Tizen, etc, in case things go sour with Google at some point, or in case they can take off with something non-Google and get out of those costs. But they're also perfectly happy to make a bunch of money playing nice with Google, so as long as they are selling a lot of Android devices, they're not going to bite the hand that feeds them... at least not too hard.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463