Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By Ry
  • 1 Post By 1966cah
  • 1 Post By bunique4life05
  • 1 Post By Patrick Schroedl
  • 1 Post By GIkari
  • 1 Post By MasterElwood
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    71 Global Posts

Question Do you think manufactures will skin Android Wear?

Do y'all think companies like Samsung and HTC will skin Wear? Or do you think Google won't allow that?

Global Posts
    4,220 Global Posts
    ROM
    Phoenix 1.6 Sense 5 4.2.2

Default Re: Do you think manufactures will skin Android Wear?

Google is very open, so I don't think they'll be against it. I'm sure companies will try to apply some sort of skin to it. If they do, I hope it's light. I don't know if smartwatches will come with Snapdragon 801 processors with 3 GB of ram.

Sent from my AT&T One X running CodefireX ROM Android Version 4.4.
    “Knowing how to think empowers you far beyond those who know only what to think.” - Neil deGrasse Tyson

OMG BECKY IT'S ALMOST HERE. The greatest tool to modify almost any HTC phone is on the verge of release. Unlock bootloaders, flash recoveries, root, and more. Open source, powerful, end-to-end encryption, enhanced by Droplr and Amazon's Secure Content Distribution Network. Best of all, it's 100% free. All built by me. Get ready to rock!

I really hope Google doesn't allow skins.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app
    iPhone 6+ & Galaxy Note 4 user. Google Glass Explorer.

Quote Originally Posted by deadp1xel View Post
    I really hope Google doesn't allow skins.

i agree, i think this is one of those times that Google should not let them skin it.
    Ry

Global Posts
    8,582 Global Posts

If Android Wear is an open platform like Android, I think that yes, we'll see "skins".
    Android Central Moderator

Motorola Moto X (212.55.26.ghost_verizon.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.4)
    Motorola Moto G (210.12.41.falcon_cdma.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.4)
    Google Nexus 7 2012 (KTU84P, KitKat 4.4.4)
    What other devices have I had? Here's my phone timeline.
    Support your favorite Android app and game developers. Pay for apps! And don't block ads!

Community Rules & Guidelines - Mobile Nations Forums
    bunique4life05 likes this.

Global Posts
    43 Global Posts

Absolutely they will "skin" it. No matter how wedded some of us are to a "stock" experience, there are few points where any manufacturer can set themselves apart from the herd, hardware, price & availability, and software.
    bunique4life05 likes this.

I hope they do, since what I saw from the SDK videos, notifications looked rather intrusive.

Quote Originally Posted by kagenish View Post
    i agree, i think this is one of those times that Google should not let them skin it.
    I just see OEM's piling tons of useless crap on them and ruining the experience.

I feel they can do a lot to differentiate with hardware, straps, faces and other things that wouldn't result in a ruined and overly themed ui.

Global Posts
    1,580 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by Ry View Post
    If Android Wear is an open platform like Android, I think that yes, we'll see "skins".
    Quote Originally Posted by 1966cah View Post
    Absolutely they will "skin" it. No matter how wedded some of us are to a "stock" experience, there are few points where any manufacturer can set themselves apart from the herd, hardware, price & availability, and software.
    OEM skins are part of the android ecosystem. OEM skin are what brought android to mass consumer appeal. Samsung is Google's top Android mobile manufacturers because of the mass consumer following that came from Touchwiz.

I agree with 1966 and that diversity is the key component to androids success. Their has been a diversity in hardware as well as software if android is going to grow. Stock android on all oem partners different hardware watches would give you "Window Phones Complex". With Windows phones you have same experience across board but only have couple phones that are decent success. Then the rest are failures that begs question why some many options for same experience?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app
    Google is for the people and by the people. Android is for the people and by the tech people. Nexus is for the geeks and by the geeks.
    Solve
    [Nexus (A) + the latest and greatest tech] < [Nexus (B) + the best proven and optimize tech]
    Answer
    Nexus (A) is less than Nexus (B)
    Nexus (B) is greater than Nexus (A)
    ______

I would prefer to see skins for Android Wear — not because I have anything against the vision that Google unveiled, but because given the history of Android, its OEMs, and their skins, I would (optimistically) assume that any OEM given a chance to develop a skin for a new platform would come up with something much better than what we saw in the early days of Sense, TouchWiz, Blur, etc.

Fresh start and whatnot...
    wizzrah likes this.

Global Posts
    4,220 Global Posts
    ROM

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Schroedl View Post
    I would prefer to see skins for Android Wear — not because I have anything against the vision that Google unveiled, but because given the history of Android, its OEMs, and their skins, I would (optimistically) assume that any OEM given a chance to develop a skin for a new platform would come up with something much better than what we saw in the early days of Sense, TouchWiz, Blur, etc.

Fresh start and whatnot...
    More is better. :P
    “Knowing how to think empowers you far beyond those who know only what to think.” - Neil deGrasse Tyson

OMG BECKY IT'S ALMOST HERE. The greatest tool to modify almost any HTC phone is on the verge of release. Unlock bootloaders, flash recoveries, root, and more. Open source, powerful, end-to-end encryption, enhanced by Droplr and Amazon's Secure Content Distribution Network. Best of all, it's 100% free. All built by me. Get ready to rock!

ROM
    stock

I think skins should be optional.
    How about 2 modes:
    • Minimal: gives you a watch face & text/email/call notifications - that's it
    • Full: skins, screensavers, apps, etc

Global Posts
    4,220 Global Posts
    ROM

Quote Originally Posted by illdini View Post
    I think skins should be optional.
    How about 2 modes:
    • Minimal: gives you a watch face & text/email/call notifications - that's it
    • Full: skins, screensavers, apps, etc
    You might be on to something. Like a UI On and Off switch?

Sent from my AT&T One X running CodefireX ROM Android Version 4.4.

Quote Originally Posted by deadp1xel View Post
    I just see OEM's piling tons of useless crap on them and ruining the experience.

I feel they can do a lot to differentiate with hardware, straps, faces and other things that wouldn't result in a ruined and overly themed ui.

This is what worries me as well, just use the hardware to differentiate and be done with it. I don't mind a few changes to the look and feel, but manufacturers seem to not know when to stop when doing that.

Posted via Android Central App
    Science is the power of Man.
    Thanked by:
    deadp1xel likes this.

Why not? Phones are skinned - and Google now still looks the same on all of them...

Ry likes this.

Global Posts
    902 Global Posts

I doubt it would be skinned the same way Android is. Android Wear is essentially Google Now on wearables. And Google Now is not open source.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Global Posts
    79 Global Posts

Because it uses a lot of Google now which cant be skinned I don't see them allowing skins. Now the watch part of it sure I could see that as well as apps that say Samsung Motorola or lg want I could see themed with there taste but android wear seems to be heavily Google now based with also apps being used.

I don't think Google will let OEMs mess with wear too much if at all. At least with this first wave of devices. They're reference devices for the most part if I'm not mistaken. Just like nexus devices.

According to Google they will not let OEM modify the skins of Android Wear

Quote Originally Posted by TizenGears View Post
    According to Google they will not let OEM modify the skins of Android Wear
    I'm so glad that they decided to take a stand.

Google to prevent OEMs from customizing the UI on Android Wear, Auto and TV | Android Central

That's a shame. Would have loved to see what HTC could do with a Sense Android Wear watch. Now all the watch UI's will be the same, the only differentiating factor will be the hardware.

One of the reasons why I chose the M8 was due to its Sense software, which I quite enjoy.

I think this is a good move to prevent fragmentation. You want a different 'skin'? Then just download the app, which I'm sure will be available. But keep things underneath running exactly the same on every watch and you ensure a better experience for devs, which has always been a touchy issue with Android.

Global Posts
    1,580 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Android wear is too simplistic in design and functionality that OEM skins would be unnecessary. Android wear OS is so minimalist is design and functionality that skinned version would find no significant changes to warrant the extra memory,storage, and CPU computing need for skinned ui. Android wear is not robust OS like Android(the of purpose Android Wear us why OS does not need to be robust) which has a vast ray of design and functionality commands that can be changed by the OEM.

Furthermore with so many computing possibility with Android the hardware expands with Android but Android Wear devices are just hub to mirror what smartphone is sending. The Android Wear needs to be simple and hardware growth(cpu,memory,storgage) limited because Android wear devices are about glance able info and hardware design for appearance.

OEM skins on Android Wear would bring same issues that plague Android smart phones and tablets with OEM skins. The problems are software updates to fix bugs, UI crashes and UI latency issues. These problems are completely unacceptable in Android Wear platform because Android is supposed mirror timeless functionality of a traditional watch. Traditional watches all tell time same and just work. You different hardware designs but all function basically the same and that is purpose of Android Wear. OEM's can add differentiation more importantly in hardware design and secondly watch faces. Android Wear would see no significant benefit for oem skin because the platform is that of traditional watch. The success of traditional watch is not in how to change functions of telling time but how it looks and feels while you are not keeping track of time.

Google is for the people and by the people. Android is for the people and by the tech people. Nexus is for the geeks and by the geeks.
    Solve
    [Nexus (A) + the latest and greatest tech] < [Nexus (B) + the best proven and optimize tech]
    Answer
    Nexus (A) is less than Nexus (B)
    Nexus (B) is greater than Nexus (A)
    ______