Is anyone else wondering how long Google will support these watches?

Bigballer

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
I mean really.

Who provides the backbone support updates. Google or moto/samsung/lg and for how long? Someone should have asked at I/O

YAYTech

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
As long as manufacturers aren't skinning the OS (optional watch faces don't count), then supporting them over a longer period of time should be very doable. Still, I'd guess it'll be in the 2-3 year timeframe. We will probably see the same thing as in the early smartphone days - earlier model hardware gets outdated quickly, but after 2-3 generations a 2yr old device isn't nearly as badly outdated.

Bigballer

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
As long as manufacturers aren't skinning the OS (optional watch faces don't count), then supporting them over a longer period of time should be very doable. Still, I'd guess it'll be in the 2-3 year timeframe. We will probably see the same thing as in the early smartphone days - earlier model hardware gets outdated quickly, but after 2-3 generations a 2yr old device isn't nearly as badly outdated.

ehh, google has a history of jumping the gun too soon and giving up sometimes.

I might wear 2-3 generations to test out the bugs so the real support can soak in