Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    54 Global Posts

Default Android Wear without your phone?

To people who have one already, what can you do with one these smartwatches if you don't have your phone on you? Can they still tell the time, stopwatch, pedometer, voice memos?

Posted via Android Central App
    The Smurf

Global Posts
    14,094 Global Posts

Default Re: Android Wear without your phone?

I would think so, first and for most, they are a watch, next, it would probably be a stopwatch. Not sure about memos and pedometer, but I would think they should work too.

Sent from pin:2AD743B7 via Tapatalk Pro

I do not have one yet as I didn't get to attend I/O... I had to pre-order like everyone else . However, they did go over this a little in the Android wear session (not the main keynote with Sundar). It was mentioned that Android Wear watches would still work as a timepiece and run any .apk that was installed on the watch itself in standalone mode (without a connected smartphone near-by) with a few caveats. If there is no connected smartphone, any task that required Voice, Data, SMS, GPS, etc would not work until the watch was in range of the connected smartphone again.

So, you would definitely be able to tell the time and date, perhaps a pedometer function as well as long as GPS or location data is NOT required. This may be the reason for the 4GB of onboard storage... I can't say that the reason for the storage was made very clear to me at least. You will, obviously, NOT be able to send text messages, use Google Now, or any other service reliant on the phone / data.

It was specifically mentioned that Android Wear uses the phone for the "heavy lifting", so without a connected smartphone I doubt voice control or dictation will work (I.e. no voice memo's) .

Sorry for the long answer, currently Google shows my LG G Watch as leaving the warehouse on July 3rd... As soon as I receive it, I'll post up more .

Just looking for the same thing before purchasing i came accost this on Google's android wear's faq's https://support.google.com/androidwear/answer/6056862

its the what will still work without a smartphone page
    Penguwin likes this.