Really Initial! thoughts on my new Gear Live

cprio

Feb 2, 2014
Visit site
Really Initial thoughts on my new Gear Live- Thursday July 10, 2014 5:30pm

01. I am writing this 10 minutes in!! So, it is initial!!!! I will write stuff now that will change very rapidly... I will update this thread with those findings and/or enlightenments.

02. Just received my new Gear Live after returning my beloved Rose Gold Gear 2. FYI- got into the Gear 2 because I needed a way to see who was calling or texting me while i workout... reaching for my Note 3 with Samsung case is a nightmare to pull out of my rear mounted holster... Gear 2 achieved exactly what I wanted but of course Google had to screw it up for me. As most of you, it is hard to sleep at night knowing you just spent $300 on what potentially is "old hat" before you have owned it for 2 weeks!! That being said Gear 2 while not perfect really worked well and was functional. Right out of the box I am faced with AW feeling like a prototype you show investors rather then a product that is ready for a launch.

03. Hardware is brilliant as expected. 3rd generation watch. I switched from iphone (since gen1) to a Galaxy Note 3 six months ago and not only have I not looked back I am a huge fan of Samsung. I was blind now I can see!!!! Literally!!!

04. Initial setup straight forward and not very complicated... ran 2 software updates

05. I immediately turned off the "always on" feature. Since I had the Gear 2 i prefer lifting my wrist and it turning on. Note- my Gear 2 did this very reliably and this units seems to do it as well. I am looking for maximum battery life. If i could get the 2-3 day battery life out of the AW I will be very happy. Don't mind charging every night but I travel internationally every month and need a minimum of a solid 24 hrs of operation in order to safely get me to Hong Kong. 8-12hrs would not be acceptable. We all know that once the watch is loaded with apps and/or notifications plus that battery starts declining that will quickly turn into 6-8 hrs.

06. Already feeling a bit underwhelmed with the OS (AW). Half baked??? Understatement!!! But I knew this going in and have chosen to be on the bleeding edge and accept the short comings and infancy stage over betting on Tizen (Which is good right now) which will undoubtedly be abandoned.

07. Right now there is no responding to my text messages... not via speak or pre-written replies. Arrggghhh. Again, I am writing this 10 minutes in!! UPDATE- switched to "Hangouts" now its starting to happen.

08. there is no text input of any kind. Speaking only is a bit challenging at times and definitely a bit goofy for a grown man to be playing Star Trek. Also, this thing also needs a speaker and/or confirmation and alert tones... SOMETHING!!!!

09. I have gotten to some data selection points where the answer I need or want is not there... I cant go back... have to start form the beginning. EXAMPLE- I ask- OK GOOGLE, email FRED SMITH. It pulls up Fred Smith and his contact options... if I cant find the option I want that it im stuck. Cant go back, cant input any info, cancel or anything!!! Have to start over which involves covering the watch with my hand. STUPID!!!!

10. Did I mention it needs a speaker??? I really do miss that speaker in the Gear2!!!! Why that would come out is just nuts. OPTIONS!!!! Is it a great speakerphone??? No!!! But its there for when I need it... BTW- used the F@%k out of it. Camera?? the same!!!!

11. So, none of this may help anyone but I am writing it just the same. As I acclimate and figure out the workflow I will update you guys.

Last edited:

flick0416

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
You touched on this in your first point, but what are the benefits you see in this? I'm trying to decide if this is a tech I'd be willing to invest in, but I'm not sure what I gain from it, other than the satisfaction of being on the cutting edge of something (which is still a benefit, not downplaying that). But practically speaking, I see two main ways having a smart watch proves beneficial: 1) being able to see who's calling me without having to pull my phone out of my pocket; 2) similarly, reading and responding to texts/emails without having to pull my phone out of my pocket. Anything else you've found it being useful for? And that's good to know that it sounds like AW has some work to do to get even those two things functioning.

Posted via Android Central App

cprio

Feb 2, 2014
Visit site
You touched on this in your first point, but what are the benefits you see in this? I'm trying to decide if this is a tech I'd be willing to invest in, but I'm not sure what I gain from it, other than the satisfaction of being on the cutting edge of something (which is still a benefit, not downplaying that). But practically speaking, I see two main ways having a smart watch proves beneficial: 1) being able to see who's calling me without having to pull my phone out of my pocket; 2) similarly, reading and responding to texts/emails without having to pull my phone out of my pocket. Anything else you've found it being useful for? And that's good to know that it sounds like AW has some work to do to get even those two things functioning.

Posted via Android Central App

1. While owning the Gear2 I wore it to several formal meetings where I was able to glance at my wrist without pulling out my phone and rudely stare at my screen while I nodded as if i'm listening. I declined calls, texted preset messages, etc... GREAT!!!

2. Being able to see notifications discreetly on your wrist is priceless!!!

3. I travel all the time... I have not been able to use Gear 2 or AW for travel yet but I already have my watch face set to 2 cities... As a Note3 user having a small wrist-able device that connects and/or mirrors my phone is very useful. Add American Airlines/Delta travel/itinerary updates and boarding passes and things start to really rock.

cprio

Feb 2, 2014
Visit site
Really Initial thoughts on my new Gear Live- Friday July 11, 2014 6:30am

01. Charged all night and just strapped it on with 100% battery.

02. BTW- I'm 6'1 and the size of the watch is perfect.

03. Woke up committed to to opening up and start talking to my watch... we will see.

04. Also, does it function as a watch??? Right now i'm thinking... $200 for a digital watch that built pretty well and connected to a network where I can choose my second city (time zone) easily... that should be enough!

cprio

Feb 2, 2014
Visit site
Really Initial thoughts on my new Gear Live- Friday July 12, 2014 7:30am

01. BATTERY- Exactly 24hrs and I am at 22% battery with the "always on" feature OFF
BTW- If I was on a flight to HK I would be arriving at the hotel right about now and I did not have to put it on a charger. Critical for me.

02. going for a run with it at 22%.

03. WORKOUT- checked my heart rate before, counted my steps... Received calls on my run... was able to see who was calling and answer/decline calls. Worked great but the Gear2 did this great as well.

04. MUSIC- great surprise which i noticed towards the end of my run. AW showed the artist and track that was playing from Pandora. Play, Pause and next track were there.

05. 9:00am 22% battery... took a shower. Shower triggers screen(s) constantly. AW needs a "shower mode" that disables display without turning off unit and either a side button (samsung) override or 2-finger sequence. A "crowd mode" that disables audio input will most likely be needed as well

05. Went to breakfast and showed off the Gear Live to everyone. Gave a live demo.

06. 12:00pm Gear Live went dead!!!

07. 12:06pm Full charge initiated...

update still to come...

Last edited:

cprio

Feb 2, 2014
Visit site
Really Initial thoughts on my new Gear Live- Sunday July 13, 2014 9:17am

01. CHARGE- Yesterday it took about 80min. for a full charge.

02. NO DATA- Unfortunately I don't have many updates today my 10 year old has appropriated my watch. He is a iphone user and is threatening the greatness of the upcoming "iwatch". He states- "between the iphone 6 and the iwatch I will come home to Apple". All that being said he wont give it back. Right now I am waiting for him to wake to get it back.

03. TIMER- The only update I can give is that he "Ok Googled" 2 X 6min timers to assist me in grilling. He set them with little effort. BTW- where are the tones? beeps and sequences that alert you? Why would AW not support a speaker and why would Samsung take out that speaker when it has been so successful for them?

04. MUTE- I got my watch back after some threats to his health. Put it back on with ease (u get use to the strap) and started my Sunday routine. First thing I noticed is that the lift your arm wake up did not work. Lifted my arm a dozen times then started to violently twist, raise and jolt my arm and wrist... Still no activation. "What a piece of S@!t" I thought... it stop working. Then I noticed the micro bell icon with a slash. While in mute the screen does not wake!!! Silly me!!!

05. LEGIBILITY- While we are on the subject. Ultra-Light font in micro size lower case is beautiful (that is the design camp i come from) but to a guy in his mid forties it makes it Ultra challenging to read without glasses. In fact, I can't!!! Note- I was able to read most if not all of the alerts on the Gear 2 (Tizen) without glasses. The white and orange regular weight fonts on a black background worked really well. IMO- AW needs to tweak the size up on everything and add 20% weight on the fonts

When iPhone launched it's OS upgrade that went in the "Ultra-Light" font and design route it sealed the jump to Galaxy for me. I remember sitting at dinner one night when my friends wives all gave me stunning and vivid slideshows on their Galaxys while I struggled with the micro screen of my beloved iPhone 5 with retina display. That night the vale of Apple was lifted from my eyes... "F" the Galaxy I jumped to the Note3!!! And I love Android despite me being on a Mac since the Lisa.

Last edited:

Devhux

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I think Samsung didn't include a speaker to avoid cannibalizing their Gear 2 sales. With a speaker, someone would easily find a way to get calling working via some app.

That said I do agree it's a bit weird not having the audible tones for stuff.

cprio

Feb 2, 2014
Visit site
I agree. Trust me I struggled with the decision to return my Gear 2 when I added all the shortcomings of the Gear Wear. I was just going to deal with Tizen which is pretty good until AW could be installed on my Gear 2. Ultimately, I chose the Gear Wear knowing that I am going to struggle thru it's New Born years. If you never had the speaker you may not miss it. However, I love love love the speaker phone!!!! Answer the call while you struggle to get that Tablet (Note3) I call a phone... Whoops, I think I was able to receive Skype calls as well??? Memory cloudy. Also when your watch is on charger/night stand you can choose to have audible alerts.

So, when I get frustrated with AW I revert (justification) to it just being a watch with some cool add ons. In fact, a watch with the coolest display.

Last edited:

Sammuel1973

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
So Cprio, you prefer the Gear Live over the Gear 2 overall? What specifically the G2 can't do that the Gear Live can in terms of setting appts, timer, alarm, simple math, etc via SVoice? I know Google Now is snappier.

Add: would you mind to test the GL with a bluetooth headset on whether you still need to talk directly to the watch or can it be done via the headset regarding Google Now? Hope I am making sense. How about headset with music?

Sent from my SM-G900T using AC Forums mobile app

cprio

Feb 2, 2014
Visit site
So Cprio, you prefer the Gear Live over the Gear 2 overall? What specifically the G2 can't do that the Gear Live can in terms of setting appts, timer, alarm, simple math, etc via SVoice? I know Google Now is snappier.

Add: would you mind to test the GL with a bluetooth headset on whether you still need to talk directly to the watch or can it be done via the headset regarding Google Now? Hope I am making sense. How about headset with music?

Sent from my SM-G900T using AC Forums mobile app

Hi Samuel,

Today and right now I clearly prefer the Gear 2. AW just seems novel and as I stated before- "half baked". Gear 2 w/ Tizen just beats out on clear overall functionality. When you sum the parts between HW/SW it just does more cleanly and effectively. As you have seen I continue to distill my justification for owning and wearing the AW to "does it function as a watch". The only blind faith I have and the one that I want all of your input on is whether we all trust that Google is going to rock this platform. If Google Wear is just another concept platform for Google I would jump back on Gear 2 and be very happy owning it... TODAY!!!

I don't have a BT headset. I use Apple earbuds tethered to my Note 3 on a monster sport holster. In the future I want a BT headset where I would expect to download my playlist to my Gear's 4gig and run without my phone on some occasions. I definitely need to be connected on weekdays.

indianajonze

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
I think Samsung didn't include a speaker to avoid cannibalizing their Gear 2 sales. With a speaker, someone would easily find a way to get calling working via some app.

That said I do agree it's a bit weird not having the audible tones for stuff.

that doesn't explain why LG and Moto made the same decision...

cprio

Feb 2, 2014
Visit site
Really Initial thoughts on my new Gear Live- Tuesday July 15, 2014 1:00pm

01. Sorry guys... I was swamped yesterday and could not really get to the forum. Also, I hate to report that the Gear Wear has lost it's luster pretty quick. It's really not doing much if anything for me right about now except telling time, notifying me about calls coming in, messages and a bunch of useless Android related diagnostics and Google + stuff.

02. Is the honeymoon over??? Well maybe.

03. I ran with it again this morning and again it was great at telling me who was calling. Great at track selection.

04. I may have reported that I had to switch to Hangouts in order to reply to a text... but not only was switching to Hangouts a pain but "Replying" is no easy feat while in the field. Moreover, I just can't see the small ultra-light lower case fonts on the notifications and commands. The canned text responses are also pretty useless and there is no way to edit that I can see.

05. I know the legibility issue is more my problem but i was able to see the Gear 2 notifications without glasses and overall much better!!!

06. What else??? Talking into your wrist has gone from silly to stupid!!! Moreover, when you have to repeat or shout at it, cover it to reset and "Ok Google" again... Argghhhh!!!! Easy manual selections and input is critical for me. Expanding the AW GUI is a must!!! and they need to do it fast! Because if a techno fool like me has already gone negative then I can't imagine the general public.

07. Am I returning it??? No not yet.

08. Sorry for being so negative today. Will update later after some vodka!!!

Devhux

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I hear ya on that last point. I've found the voice recognition to be very hit & miss (leaning more towards miss). If I start pulling out my phone to reply to a text, that starts defeating the purpose of getting this over my Pebble.

There are definitely some growing pains. I did expect some of it, but hopefully Google is able to improve things

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance