Thick watches

Aglet

Jun 25, 2014
Visit site
I've seen a few posts and online articles expressing disappointment with the size of the newly released smartwatches. Some draw attention to their "thickness", or height of the watch above the wrist: What! It's a whole 9mm thick! I could never wear that!

I used to collect watches as a hobby, I kept my favourites and still subscribe to WatchTime magazine where I drool over fine timepieces worth well in excess of US$100,000.

So on a drizzly winter day, I thought I'd measure several of my watches with vernier calipers. I've presented the measurements in the table below along with the two new smartwatches, which I do not own, listing height and I thought I might as well do width while I was at it. Width is more-or-less across the 8 o'clock to 2 o'clock positions to avoid crowns and guards and lugs; all my watches are round, purely a matter of personal taste.

Watch sizes.jpg

This is submitted purely for comparison of fairly typical watches against the new offerings from Samsung and LG; I could not find verifiable dimensions for the Moto 360. The list is in no specific order except digital are up the top. Obviously the Suunto Ambit 2 is the big daddy of them all, it is a sports watch I wear when cycling or hiking or swimming, and also when travelling on holidays due to many useful functions for the traveller.

I hasten to add that none of the watches ever cause me a problem because of size: I don't accidentally bash them against door frames when entering or exiting rooms; I don't inadvertently bruise other pedestrians while walking down the street. Aside from the Casio ProTrek and Suunto Ambit 2, all of them fit nicely under a long sleeved business shirt.

9 mm... gee that's thin! :)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FarajWala800