Issue with alarms and timers

andreo

Dec 15, 2011
Visit site
Hello everyone,
I just switched to using a Samsung Live watch from the Galaxy Gear. I had some time today to put the new watch through its paces and see what was different between the two.
Something that I noticed was setting alarms and timers. I would have expected to tell the watch to set an alarm or timer and send the request to the phone. Then have the phone and watch sound an alarm when the time arrived.
However only the watch will vibrate. With timers it appears to be even worse sense the watch will only give one vibration (the same you would get with a regular notification).
One of the first things I noticed after setting an alarm is that the alarm doesn't show up on the phone. Next I checked to make sure that the Android Wear app wasn't set to only send notifications to the watch (which it wasn't).

With my 1st gen Gear I could tell it to set an alarm or timer and the alarm would be set on the phone. It would then go off on both the phone and the watch and I could cancel the alarm on either device. I'm guessing that I've missed a setting somewhere in Android Wear since I would find it hard to believe they would overlook something as simple as this.

Oh, and I should add. that alarms set on the phone do not carry forward to the watch. It will only ring on the phone.

My phone: Galaxy Note 3, Verizion, stock, never rooted.

Penguwin

VR Expert
Nov 15, 2013
Visit site
It's not you or Samsung, what you describe is exactly how it works on my LG G Watch as well. I can only imagine that they made it this way so that the alarms still function without a phone being near.

To modify the alarms on the watch, tap the screen to get to the "speak now" screen and then scroll down to "show alarms". You can delete existing alarms on the watch from this screen.

andreo

Dec 15, 2011
Visit site
Well that's disappointing. The alarm on the watch isn't strong enough to wake up anyone and the convenience of switching it off (and setting it) from the watch really comes in handy. Also the single vibration can actually be missed on the watch if your doing something when it goes off.
I guess I'll have to hope for a 3rd party app to bridge the gap or wait until Android Wear matures a bit more.

YAYTech

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
That is a bit disappointing - that's one of the top things I see one of these being handy for in my personal use. Hopefully they fix that before I take the plunge on a smartwatch.

flychinook

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
As Penguwin said, it's the same experience on the G Watch, but there is one difference. Timers on the G Watch will vibrate once per second until dismissed, with the screen showing elapsed time since the timer ended.

Penguwin

VR Expert
Nov 15, 2013
Visit site
As Penguwin said, it's the same experience on the G Watch, but there is one difference. Timers on the G Watch will vibrate once per second until dismissed, with the screen showing elapsed time since the timer ended.

That's cool... Haven't used the timers much yet... Mainly the alarms.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez