Android Wear Phone app is eating battery

RussST24

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
Hi Guys,
This has been driving me a bit mad over the past few days. My phone is getting hot and battery draining fast.
I have a Note 3 and LG G watch.
All on the latest software.

After doing some research with a CPU monitor I found the Google Wear app was hitting over 40% cpu and pushing my note 3 to max Mhz.
If I disconnect from the watch it drops off completely. I reconnect and then sometime later it will jump back up again.

My thought was thirdparty apps etc, so I removed all Wear apps from the phone including the official Android one and factory reset the watch.
Rebooted my phone and reinstalled the Core Android Wear app and re paired the watch.

pretty much straight away its jumped back to 40% cpu! until I disconnect and reconnect the watch.

Running out of ideas on this one (no I dont want to factory reset my phone). Everything else on my device works perfectly.

Anyone else seeing this? I even removed LightFlow in case it was interfering but no dice.

Thanks

Russ

aitt

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
360 and Z2. All is well with me. Battery perfectly normal and that's with the Toq attached as well.

Posted via Android Central App

RussST24

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
Ok quick update for anyone that might have this issue.

I went for a full reset of the watch and wiped everything wear from my phone and started again totally stock and it still happened.

Did some more digging and noticed that the banner in the notification system that says wear connected is actually Google play services.

So on a hunch I removed all updates from this and then updated it again and rebooted.

So far 6 hours later no signs of the wear app going cpu mad.
And I have boss music app and mini launcher installed fine.

I'll let you know if the issue comes back.

Russ

Sweeet1102

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Same for me, but only when i am on some Schools Wifi on my town...

I you can force the app to close, you will be fine for couple minutes maybe hours but it come back.

Last edited:

RussST24

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
Hi thanks for the extra info. That might help me figure out what is the cause. Mine keeps coming back but more so when I am at work. I will experiment with disabling wifi when it happens and seeing if I nail down the cause.

So far removing the updates to play services fixes it for about 8 hours and then it's back.

Russ

Sweeet1102

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Update..

At my work, they change something in the network (wireless) this week, and i noticed the Android Wear app eat a lot of battery. So i am pretty sure the problem come from the wifi network. What, i don't know...

But if a Force the app to close, the problem is solve.. for a certain time...

RussST24

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
Hi Guys,
See the update here

https://productforums.google.com/fo...oter#!category-topic/android-wear/-1Crx26hm6k

The issue is directly linked to being on a wifi network that blocks outgoing ports. so at work it only allow 80 and 443 for web traffic and blocks everything else. This causes the wear app to go into high cpu until you disconnect the watch, and will start again after a while if still on that network.
I confirmed it by running a VPN on my phone over the network (which then allows all ports to work via the VPN) and this fixed the issue.
Its been reported to google and the android wear team.

Russ

RussST24

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
Ok one more update, I checked the deny logs on the ACL and the Android Wear app makes a call for DNS on UDP 53 to 8.8.8.8 which is googles DNS server.
This is blocked in our setup as only DNS traffic is allowed to the servers we issue with DHCP.

We modified the ACL to allow my phone to use UDP 53 and now I have gone all afternoon connected to the office network without the app spiking.

So its UDP 53 to 8.8.8.8 being blocked that makes the app go CPU mad.

Russ

RussST24

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
Yes either Google stop trying to access their dns server or at least make the app not spike to the cpu if it's not available. Or your work IT need to open UDP 53 to 8.8.8.8 on their network.

Russ