Can't view group texts?

StuartV

Allergic to Stupid
Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
I have a Hauwei Watch, but I assume my issue is with Android Wear and not specific to the model of watch I have.

It appears to be the case that when I receive a group text message, I cannot view the message body on my watch. I get a notification (on the watch) that I've received a text message. But, when I tap it to try and view it, it doesn't do anything. Oddly, it seems like sometimes it will show me who the message is from and sometimes it doesn't. But, it seems to never let me view the text of the message itself. But, if I receive a normal text message (not a group message), then I can read the whole message on my watch.

Is this normal and expected behavior?

Penguwin

VR Expert
Nov 15, 2013
Visit site
Doesn't sound normal to me... I assume these group messages are MMS and are sent to your phone number, not through a internet messaging service like Skype / WhatsApp.

What SMS / text app are you using? It's possible that the SMS client your using does not support showing MMS on Android Wear.

StuartV

Allergic to Stupid
Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
Doesn't sound normal to me... I assume these group messages are MMS and are sent to your phone number, not through a internet messaging service like Skype / WhatsApp.

What SMS / text app are you using? It's possible that the SMS client your using does not support showing MMS on Android Wear.
I use the stock Messages app on my VZW Galaxy S4. And yes, the group texts are actually MMS messages. But, they only contain text.

Penguwin

VR Expert
Nov 15, 2013
Visit site
Just as a test, I would try a different SMS app, like Hangouts from Google.

This way you'll be able to rule out if its the SMS app or something with Android Wear itself.

StuartV

Allergic to Stupid
Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
Or maybe I'll just wait for someone to reply and say that are able to read group text messages on their AW smart watch. If that happens, then I'll know there is something wrong with my setup.

There are way too many options to try and if none of them work (for me) then I still won't know if it's not supposed to work or if there is just something wrong with my setup.

Android Optimizer

Jul 26, 2014
Visit site
If you're asking if my watch (ZenWatch 2) notifies me about texts that come in that are related to group texts yes it does. It comes in from the sender, and if I scroll over from the message (right to left) the third screen is to "view conversation", and from that screen I can view the entire thread and what other people (aside from the sender) has said in it. Is that what you wanted to know?

Also if more than one person sends a text related to the thread that I haven't read they stack on the initial read screen, and I can click on any of them to expand them to the entire text. I can also swipe away certain text and leave others still on the screen in the stack.