Smartwatch in the snow/rain - screen goes buggy - is this true of all smart watches?

pdxrealtor

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
I have a Gear 2, and when I work outside and it's sprinkling, or I take it up snowboarding and the snow on my sleeve leaves a bit of water on the screen it seems that anything that rubs the watch face acts like a finger. I come off the mountain with a different watch face, my music stops/starts/skips all over the place, my stopwatch resets or closes out completely when I'm on a job... etc...

Are all smartwatches going to have this problem?

I find it hard to swallow as a 'the norm' since so many are geared towards fitness. If I run, I sweat. If in a long sleeve shirt that gets sweaty and then rubs the watch face it would go buggy on me.

Tired of the Gear S2 and am simply trying to decide if I'd be better served by a nice outdoors watch vs. a smart watch.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I don't see that behavior with my ASUS ZenWatch, but I can only comment on if it gets a little wet in the rain--I don't wear it when I work out.

pdxrealtor

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for your input. It helps.

I see it most when working in light rain (I won't work in heavy rain) or when snowboarding. It's especially bad when wearing a hard shell type rain coat IE Columbia Sportswear, Arctyrex, etc... The hard material rubs the droplets on the watch face and acts as a finger on the touch screen.

I like the Zen watch.... one of the few I've been looking at .

pdxrealtor

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
Thanks.... I found a couple LG G watches locally (the square ones). Are the Zenwatches noticeably better in any area? From what I could tell the biggest difference is WIFI, which the G watch does not have.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
1st gen Zenwatch doesn't have wi-fi, but I believe the 2nd gen does. Wi-fi isn't that important to me, because if I'm wearing my watch, I'm almost certainly carrying my phone as well.

For me, the advantage of the Zenwatch is the styling--the metal looks really nice, especially when paired with a metal band (but the leather band it comes with is also high quality).

ASUS also provides a LOT of preinstalled watchfaces, many of which are quite good. Battery life has been great (usually down to no less than 50% by the end of the day), but I'm not sure how that compares with the G Watch.

ab304945

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
Water on the screen will effect any capacitive touch screen, both watches and phones

Posted via the Android Central App

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol