Looking for smartwatch with a few requirements

VladDracule

Feb 26, 2014
Visit site
Many of my workouts are at a gym either lifting weights, or cardio (treadmill, elliptical, spin bike, rowing machine etc).
Because of that im unsure how any smartwatch woud do in terms of tracking my activity level, i would assume a heart rate monitor that is accurate enough can do a decent enough job.

I would also like to have a large amount of both classy/sport watch bands readily available at least online in different colors/styles.

Right now the one catching my eye the most is the Huwei (spelling?) I personally hate the flat tire on the moto 360 however if there is a compelling enough reason ill consider it.

Also not necessarily directly streaming, but the ability to change songs/select playlists from my phone is a high priority, using an app that allows flac

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Most watches will allow the music control thing from any app that properly calls for media controls in your watch... However, if you want accurate activity tracking, you're gonna be hard-pressed to find a good smartwatch that does. These aren't fitness trackers, and the smart fitness trackers don't have a lot of 'smart' chops.

If you just want the heart rate tracking, any will do. I personally use the Moto360 and the flat tire is a little unnerving but you get over it quite quickly, especially when you see how useful the ambient light sensor is in the end. With all the updates, the watch lasts for days now. With the screen always on and moderate use, I can pull a full day out of it. With screen only on when used and moderate use, I can go 2.5 days without charging (and it's still tracking my heart rate). If I only use it to tell time or in airplane mode, I can almost make it last 4 days on a single charge.

xendula

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
I use my LG watch Urbane 2 LTE paired with my LG Tone Plus BT headset at the gym and when running outside, since I can store music on it directly.

Other than steps, it does not track activity at the gym. Maybe there are apps that I am not aware of that I could install. Outside, it tracks my runs without a phone.

My watch does not have user replaceable straps, but I love it and the screen is nicer than the Huawei's.

PookiePrancer

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
Moto Body is far better than anything on the Huawei. I own both. But no, none of these watches are dedicated fitness trackers.

Posted via the Android Central App

joantbak

Dec 27, 2013
Visit site
May be consider the LG watch Urbane (not 2 LTE) it has the latest version of AW so will function pretty much the same as any of the others above. It does not have a flat tyre but no ambient sensor either, however I find setting up a good dimmed face or turning always on off extends the battery massively. Speaking of battery it has (or did) have the largest capacity battery of a watch I can get 1.5-2 days without issue (again this depends on use and face used, as it will with all watches) the Urbane has the heart monitor though I could not say how accurate it is. The other great thing is that the watch can now be found for a very reasonable cost compared to other watches (around £150 in UK), Oh yeah and standard watch straps fit it (changed mine to a nice steel one)
The bad points I guess are that its not the newest (though still ranked 4th by AC) and it is not the smallest.

theduder

May 9, 2011
Visit site
The absolute best way to add serious heart rate tracking is the Scoshe Rhythm+ arm strap. It uses the best tech and can keep its accuracy even with rigorous movement like crossfit, etc...

https://tapatalk.com/shareLink?url=...&share_tid=613574&share_fid=4950&share_type=t
I just added real heart rate data to my Android Wear...

You pair it to the fitness app of your choice (I like Endomondo) and while the phone will receive the heart rate telemetry, it will update the Wear companion app so you can see your heart rate on the watch face. You can even keep your phone in a gym bag on the other end of the room...

It also works with Tizen watches since they have Endomondo. A friend of mine uses it with his Tizen Samsung watch.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zif835