Android Wear Newbie - some (probably simple) questions

vaderag

Mar 19, 2016
Visit site
So... just got me a Huawei watch and while I love the look and feel, I have some issues/questions/hopes that i figure you guys will know :)
Just for detail, I'm using my watch with a Xperia Z5

1. Is it possible to hide notifications on watch face so that they only appear on swipe up? Failing that, is it possible to at least hide them on the 'deactivated' watch face, only to show when i 'activate it'?

2. When using voice I quite frequently get offline errors, despite being connected according to the phone and main screen - anything I can do here??
Related to this:
How can I stop the phone waking in my pocket when voice does connect? Leads to things happening in my pocket​

3. Google Maps
- Can i get Google maps to default to walking?
- Frequently Google maps doesn't navigate properly at all - sticks on recalculating or just fails
- Can I get Google maps voice directions on watch not on phone?

4. I would like to set notifications on my phone to the watch - i've seen this option - but i still want to get the apps I've blocked notifications on the phone... possible?

5. App questions
- Is it possible to hide apps from the list at all? I tried a few of the other launchers but I keep getting Screen Overlay errors so have had to delete...
- Is there a better Agenda app that shows more than just today? (found Agenda Wear but can hardly read anything on that!)
- There seems to be a built in find my phone, but it doesnt work. Downloaded a separate app and it does does - any ideas?
- I seem to have three fitness apps on my writs... Google Fit vs Daily Tracking vs Fitness Tracking - do i need them all? Is one the core in which others are reliant?
- I seem to get a reboot when removing and often adding an app - is this usual?

6. How can I change contacts shown? Seems to be most recent except I alse get the first phonbook entry alphabetically who I rarely contact for some reason

A lot of questions I know - thanks in advance for any insight!!

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
1. Is it possible to hide notifications on watch face so that they only appear on swipe up? Failing that, is it possible to at least hide them on the 'deactivated' watch face, only to show when i 'activate it'?
Open the Android Wear app on your phone, tap the gear icon at the upper right, then the Huawei Watch entry, and turn off Card Previews.

2. When using voice I quite frequently get offline errors, despite being connected according to the phone and main screen - anything I can do here??
How's your cell signal in general? If you have poor signal, the watch may not be able to process your voice, even if it's solidly connected via Bluetooth to the phone.

- I seem to have three fitness apps on my writs... Google Fit vs Daily Tracking vs Fitness Tracking - do i need them all? Is one the core in which others are reliant?
Google Fit is Google's app, while Daily Tracking and Fitness Tracking are Huawei apps. Google Fit will sync with your Google Fit app on your phone, so that you can manage that data more easily, while the Huawei apps presumably sync with the Huawei Wear app (which I've never tried). I think Daily Tracking keeps track of your steps like most basic step-counting apps, while Fitness Tracker allows you to select what kind of fitness activity you're doing. I don't believe you can uninstall any of these apps, since they're preinstalled, so the question of whether you need them all doesn't really apply. :-\

- I seem to get a reboot when removing and often adding an app - is this usual?
I haven't had any random reboots, but then again, I don't install many apps besides watchfaces.

6. How can I change contacts shown? Seems to be most recent except I alse get the first phonbook entry alphabetically who I rarely contact for some reason
I believe the contacts displayed mirrors the Starred list in the Phone app on your phone. This list displays your starred contacts (i.e., favorites) at the top, followed by your most recent or most commonly contacted contacts.

Sorry, but I don't have good answers for your other questions. Enjoy the watch!

Last edited:

vaderag

Mar 19, 2016
Visit site
Thank you so much!

I have another issue to add to the pile, somewhat more serious than the others...
When I go to bed and put the watch and phone on charge, they disconnect from each other, and i get a new pairing request.
Firstly, I'm not convinced I should need to re-pair every day anyway??
But the main trouble is that this comes up every few seconds and wakes the screen... which is not ideal when you're trying to sleep...

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
That makes me think that your frequent offline errors could be due to a problem with the watch's Bluetooth (and which is also causing the repeated pairing requests). I'd bring it back to the store and ask for an exchange, or contact Huawei for warranty repair/replacement.

vaderag

Mar 19, 2016
Visit site
Yeah, maybe. TBH, if there is a bluetooth issue it's likely with my phone - there is a known error on the Z5 bluetooth - only ever noticed it with audio before tho...
It's been better today tho honestly, so i'm not sure any more !!

vaderag

Mar 19, 2016
Visit site
Same thing this morning. I solved the overnight issues by disabling Bluetooth while asleep, but as soon as it came back on I get a pairing request...

Just to check, this is supposed to remember the pair, right ?!! (Stupid question in sure it should)

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Yes, it should remember to pair. I have no problems reconnecting automatically if I turn off Bluetooth, then turn it on again later.

Any way you can test the watch with a different phone?

vaderag

Mar 19, 2016
Visit site
Factory reset the watch yesterday and seems to have not done it today so may be solved. Not counting chickens yet tho.

The factory reset presented another oddity tho... A few apps won't now sync to the watch. I cleared caches etc and have tried the resync apps option on the wear app, but on two factory resets I'm missing Citymapper and IFTTT.. very odd.... I even tried uninstalling on phone and reinstalling and they still didn't appear :(

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I don't find Wear Agenda useful, but use the built-in Calendar app that syncs with Google Calendar.

I believe Agenda is the built-in calendar. What watch app are you referring to? Is it actually called Calendar on your Huawei Watch?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dedehammac