Android Wear 2.0 - Anyone Receive the Update Yet?

kramer5150

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
I am starting to question just how compatible it really is with older devices that don't have a scroll crown, SIM card and speaker audio.

fdisker2000

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
I am starting to question just how compatible it really is with older devices that don't have a scroll crown, SIM card and speaker audio.

Well, considering that the developer's preview was available and tested for 6+/- months on the Huawei Watch; I'd say: very compatible.
It has a speaker but no scrolling crown or SIM card capabilities.
The latest build of the preview ran very well on my Huawei Watch.
I would venture to guess it would be easier to implement the software on devices without a sim card, speaker, scroll wheel; as long as the other specs of the watch can run the software reliably.
Even scrolling crowns don't seem to be required to navigate the GUI, as swiping is almost as easy. Many apps don't even take advantage of the crown scroll.

kramer5150

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
Update...
Whatever that 14M download was, it killed notifications to my watch.

It worked fine last night. I wake up this morning and I no longer receive notifications for google email and android messages. Everything else works as it should.

Tried rebooting phone and watch... no dice. Going to give it some more time. Hope I do not have to factory reset my watch.

Last edited:

kramer5150

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
OK... apparently I am on the cusp of the 2.0 update. IF that is what that 14M download was last night. But it didn't actually do ANYTHING at the time of the download. I went to sleep thinking "OK whatev"....??

Everything was OK, and this morning my watch buzzed at 6:15AM with my daily alarm. By ~9 AM all my notifications stop reaching my watch... per my post above.

Downloading the 14M AW package killed my bluetooth connection... eventually. I can no longer pair with my phone. If I go to my BT settings, manually unpair... and then re-initialize pairing it will issue a the 5 digit pass code and go through the pairing procedure. But no actual pairing occurs on the watch.

Apparently without BT pairing I can't install this latest update onto my watch. So I had to factory reset the watch. So right now I have a bare bones moto 360 gen-2, running box stock AW 1.5...

Last edited:

kramer5150

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
after 40 minutes or so... BT does appear to be connected. But I still can't receive notifications. I can view text dialogs in android messages with my various contacts, but receive no notifications of incoming messages, emails or calls.

????

... and just like last night, that 14M android wear download doesn't do anything, or push anything to my watch.

Not too thrilled about any of this.... hoping for the best though.

Last edited:

kramer5150

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
OK I have now been through two moto 360 factory resets... heres whats happening.

As near as I can tell this last download of AW terminates BT connectivity. I can't tell exactly when or how, because once I download the new installation I lose access to the AW connection/diagnostic features in the app. It just goes straight into an install program.

I download the 14M update, and at some point it turns off the watch BT (not the phone)... and it can't be turned back on. So I get to this point, and select the blue Set it up option... Notice the little cloud crossed out on my watch above 12:00, its the app that does that... not me.
IMG_4386_zpsxf2kjyx7.jpg

I get to the next screen and I don't see my watch available to select
IMG_4388_zpsv3ulhq7v.jpg

Select "I don't see my watch" brings me here: Where I have gone through all 4 steps, including two factory resets on the watch. The reset does appear to reconnect BT, but not entirely. Or as I say above theres something in the new downloaded package that at some point turns it off.
IMG_4389_zpsod5gmew9.jpg

So I am stuck in this loop cycle... factory resetting the watch to partially bring back BT, yet the new install terminates BT as in the second pic above, and you end up just going around and around. Never at any point in the cycle is BT connected "enough" to receive text/call/email notifications or get me past the second pic above.

?????

Last edited:

Mungus99

Jul 7, 2012
Visit site
I just received a firmware update for my ZenWatch 2, on my ZenWatch 2,which is calling for a full charge. Charger at home. Possibly AW 2.0

kramer5150

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
As a last ditch effort I un-installed android wear from my phone and re-downloaded it.

Now the Bluetooth on my watch is completely dead. I have no connectivity at all.... no notifications and I can no longer open view text message dialogue conversations and reply.

Last edited:

azcruz

Dec 26, 2014
Visit site
As a last ditch effort I un-installed android wear from my phone and re-downloaded it.

Now the Bluetooth on my watch is completely bricked. I have no connectivity at all.... no notifications and I can no longer open view text message dialogue conversations and reply.

Your watch is not bricked. It happened to me once and Google services and Android Wear were the culprits.

azcruz

Dec 26, 2014
Visit site
Here...

On the watch:
Settings, Unpair with phone. (Old release of AW may say Factory reset.)
Do not set up the watch yet.

On the phone:
In Android Wear use the Disconnect... option.
In Android Wear, use Settings, Device settings and touch the watch name, Touch FORGET WATCH.
Settings, Bluetooth. If you still see the watch, touch Forget... the watch so it no longer appears in the list of paired devices.
Settings, Device, Apps, select Google Play Services. Uninstall updates.
Settings, Device, Apps, select Google App. Clear cache and Clear data. Also Uninstall updates.
Settings, Device, Apps, select Android Wear. Clear cache and Clear data. Also Uninstall updates.
Play Store, Apps, My apps, touch the Update all button.

kramer5150

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
Here...

On the watch:
Settings, Unpair with phone. (Old release of AW may say Factory reset.)
Do not set up the watch yet.

On the phone:
In Android Wear use the Disconnect... option.
In Android Wear, use Settings, Device settings and touch the watch name, Touch FORGET WATCH.
Settings, Bluetooth. If you still see the watch, touch Forget... the watch so it no longer appears in the list of paired devices.
Settings, Device, Apps, select Google Play Services. Uninstall updates.
Settings, Device, Apps, select Google App. Clear cache and Clear data. Also Uninstall updates.
Settings, Device, Apps, select Android Wear. Clear cache and Clear data. Also Uninstall updates.
Play Store, Apps, My apps, touch the Update all button.

Thanks!

That definitely fixed things... sort of.

So I did all that and now my watch is back to where it was this morning... AW version 1.5, but as before I no longer receive notifications. I can open text dialogues but I do not receive notification upon receipt.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillyC