Android Wear vs. Tizen

Byrese

Feb 4, 2016
Visit site
So I'm in the market for a smartwatch. I've tried Tizen OS before on a gear fit 2. It was ok. I'm really interested on Android Wear. I guess I'm asking Tizen or Android Wear?

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
It really depends on the features you want and if you're using a Samsung phone or not. While the Tizen watches (albeit their recent security debacle) are far more integrated into Samsung phones than Android Wear, the Tizen ecosystem is not as big as Android Wear support (and even then, mind you, Android Wear support is not great either). Android Wear 2 should be a big improvement, but it still has a long way to go.

fdisker2000

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
Having owned several Gear and AW watches; I have to say, I prefer AW.
Gear (Tizen) usually wins battery longevity but S Voice < Google Assistant(Now). Gear App support < AW. Tizen has a better UI(IMO)but I think AW 2.0 is just as slick, if not better.
If your vested in Google infrastructure (Google Play Music, etc) you're better off with AW, because of lack of support on Gear watches.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Another thing you might consider is Spotify. If you use Android Wear, offline songs on your watch are NOT supported (only Google Play Music does), but AFAIK offline Spotify is supported on the newer Gear watches.

Johnston212

Nov 14, 2010
Visit site
I have been wondering the same thing. Tizen doesn't appear to be an option for me due to its limited functionality in comparison to my AW watch.

However, my opinion on what I have seen of AW 2.0 means that I can just as easily compare a traditional watch to any NON-LG AW 2.0 watch.

dov1978

Trusted Member
Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
AndroidWear for me personally. I've had Tizen on a Gear S and it was lacking in a few too many places for me. One of those was the lack of Myfitnesspal integration (but I've read they've finally joined forces there and introduced that). The lack of OK Google was also a big miss for me as S-Voice is pretty awful. I've also owned a few Apple watches and of the 3 my AndroidWear watches have just had the best overall features and performance for me.