1+ 3T questions

vaterp

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
Thinking about getting a new phone - coming from S6ACTIVE. I was torn between pixel and 1+3T. After studying them a bunch I think the 3T is really a better buy for the value. Do you agree? Also how about 3T vs. S6Active? I really love the active part (feeling safe without a case for instance + waterproofing). And future wise, how about the 4T? Do you know what that will include?

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
The 3T is 90% perfect, with the bad 10% being OnePlus as a company.

The Pixel offers 2 things over the 3T — a better touchscreen and Google direct software. If those things aren't enough to justify the big price jump, get the 3t and don't look back.

The 3T is a better phone that the S6 active. You have to decide is the waterproofing and tough shell is enough to keep using it. It's not to me, but that's just me. I don;t think anyone knows anything about the next OnePlus phone just yet.

vaterp

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
Thanks Jerry - followup question though:

You say the pixel offers 2 things over the 3T - better touchscreen and google direct software. I'm surprised you didn't list camera - everyone else says pixel has best camera there is -- do you disagree with that? Are you saying 3T camera is better?

Also how about software features.... the 3T seems to have some pretty good feature add-ons while being very close to stock android? What do you think about their software?

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Ambassador
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
PROBABLY not a huge issue for most but also the OnePlus 3T does not support Google Daydream View. That being said it would work fine with a good "cardboard" VR, AND I DO feel personally it is the better value. :) But I'm no Jerry! ;)

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
While both of those options are great, I definitely recommend the OnePlus 3T as being the best bang for your buck. Of course, if ruggedness (ie, waterproof, not using a case) is really important to you, then I'd go for the Active.

Nutcase4u

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
Nah, Jerry isn't saying the 3T has a better camera. The Pixel XL has a better camera by far, but I'm assuming for Jerry it's not in his top two reasons to go for a Pixel XL over the 3T. The 3T has a solid camera, but not quite on par with the Pixel.

pkcable

Ambassador
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
How about 3T vs ZTE axon 7?

I think they are VERY close, but the 3T out specs the Axon 7 a little except for the screen, the Axon is quad HD. Also the Axon probably has better sound. It's said the Axon 7 will support Daydream eventually sometime after the upgrade to OS 7.

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
Nah, Jerry isn't saying the 3T has a better camera. The Pixel XL has a better camera by far, but I'm assuming for Jerry it's not in his top two reasons to go for a Pixel XL over the 3T. The 3T has a solid camera, but not quite on par with the Pixel.

This. The 3T has a pretty good camera. It;s good enough for me and as good as the cameras that were "the best" just a year ago.

And VR makes me puke unless I'm really stoned. So Daydream isn't a draw lol.

pkcable

Ambassador
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
This. The 3T has a pretty good camera. It;s good enough for me and as good as the cameras that were "the best" just a year ago.

And VR makes me puke unless I'm really stoned. So Daydream isn't a draw lol.

Yea for sure VR is not for everyone. I'm a big fan of (how shall I put this) "adult entertainment" which is quite nice in VR. ;)