Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
+ Reply Subscribe
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By wizzrah
  • 1 Post By Paul627g
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    AC Question

Default how to unroot with S on?

hello everyone,
    i am very new to rooting and all that
    i have the htc m8 international version
    i have a problem with the mic as no one can hear me and i need to get it to the agent under warranty.
    i cant do that unless i atleast unroot the phone
    i cant S off with firewater as i get the error msg from them that i shouldnt try again
    any help?
    would really appreciate the help

i tried deleting the su app from bootloader but when i press update it opens the bootloader again

Global Posts
    4,373 Global Posts
    ROM
    CandyKat 4.4.4

Default Re: how to unroot with S on?

Quote Originally Posted by AC Question View Post
    hello everyone,
    i am very new to rooting and all that
    i have the htc m8 international version
    i have a problem with the mic as no one can hear me and i need to get it to the agent under warranty.
    i cant do that unless i atleast unroot the phone
    i cant S off with firewater as i get the error msg from them that i shouldnt try again
    any help?
    would really appreciate the help

i tried deleting the su app from bootloader but when i press update it opens the bootloader again
    If you install SuperSU, it has an unroot option built in. Also, if you have an unlocked bootloader, the bootloader screen will display a "tampered" text showing that your warranty is invalid. You don't need S-OFF to unroot.
    "The glow of one warm thought is to me worth more than money." - Thomas Jefferson

My One X has served its time...now it's the Note 4's turn
    Paul627g likes this.

First thing to keep in mind is once you have rooted your device it will show a " tampered " flag in your bootloader screen. Any carrier, store or mailed in warranty to the OEM will notice this upon checking the device and it will void any and all warranty work at their discretion. The only way to get rid of the tampered flag is by obtaining S OFF and then there is specific instructions to reset this along with flashing the factory/stock firmware.

I understand you mentioned you can't do S OFF with the current method your using so you will have to find an alternative if there is one.
    Paul
    Moderator Team Leader @ Android Central

I am the Tegra Champ. What this means is that from time to time NVIDIA might send me new products to try out. This will not affect my thoughts, ideas, or opinions about any product that are discussed in the forums. Those are still my own.
    wizzrah likes this.

Hi,
    I am having the exact same problem…did you ever figure out what to do? If so it would be very appreciated if you could share how to with me.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Shiff View Post
    Hi,
    I am having the exact same problem…did you ever figure out what to do? If so it would be very appreciated if you could share how to with me.
    This....

Quote Originally Posted by wizzrah
    If you install SuperSU, it has an unroot option built in. Also, if you have an unlocked bootloader, the bootloader screen will display a "tampered" text showing that your warranty is invalid. You don't need S-OFF to unroot.
    Bottom line as he said you can unroot with S ON but it will show a tampered tag in the bootloader which is a dead giveaway that the device has been tampered with. You need to go with S OFF to remove the tampered tag and then unroot/restore back to factory state.
    Paul
    Moderator Team Leader @ Android Central

I am the Tegra Champ. What this means is that from time to time NVIDIA might send me new products to try out. This will not affect my thoughts, ideas, or opinions about any product that are discussed in the forums. Those are still my own.