Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
+ Reply
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    AC Question

Default Galaxy S4 dead areas on touch screen

I cracked the screen on my S4. Everything still worked, just a cracked screen. Took it in and had the screen replaced, now areas of the touch screen are dead. I cannot answer calls, or use certain letters texting. Other areas of the screen work fine. Can this be repaired, or do I need a new phone?

Default Re: Galaxy S4 dead areas on touch screen

Hello,

Sounds like the digitizer (which registers all the touches/input) under the actual glass was damaged and didn't show until the repair was done or was damaged during the repair. I would consider returning to the place that did the repair and see what was exactly done. In my opinion both the digitizer and glass should always be replaced at the same time to eliminate this possibility. Only other thought is a faulty repair part if the digitizer was indeed replaced.
    Paul
    Moderator @ Android Central

I am the Tegra Champ. What this means is that from time to time NVIDIA might send me new products to try out. This will not affect my thoughts, ideas, or opinions about any product that are discussed in the forums. Those are still my own.

Hi Paul,

Thanks for the information. Are the digitizers hugely expensive?

CoronaDoc

Quote Originally Posted by CoronaDoc View Post
    Hi Paul,

Thanks for the information. Are the digitizers hugely expensive?

CoronaDoc
    Normally as I said they are done as a combo (display glass/digitizer) . Roughly around the $125-$150 mark from what I got in a quick Google search. The digitizer alone I'm getting a range of $35-$50.

For your own information and research just Google "Galaxy S4 Digitizer Replacement Part" and it should pop up dozens of listing between Amazon, eBay and other sites/stores.

Good luck and feel free to let us know the outcome
    Paul
    Moderator @ Android Central

I am the Tegra Champ. What this means is that from time to time NVIDIA might send me new products to try out. This will not affect my thoughts, ideas, or opinions about any product that are discussed in the forums. Those are still my own.