Cell standby on tablet draining energy - on Airplane Mode.

A

AC Question

I have a TAC-70061 Denver tablet
Android-version 4.1.1.

It uses roughly 70% of the battery on Cell Standby - despite it being on airplane mode. The obvious problem here is of course the battery drain, as it oughtn't be necessary to use all the power on something which in reality does nothing. Does anyone know how to fix this?

Also, no system update button on this, as it's a denver and they release (I think?) modified firmware? At least only updates to a few tablets from denver is available on their website.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! I'm afraid I'm not familiar with that brand. Is it a wi-fi only tablet? If there is no SIM slot for mobile data, it's baffling why there would be Cell Standby in the first place. When you say 70% of battery is taken by Cell Standby, is this figure from when the battery has mostly discharged?

emiltj

Jun 15, 2014
Visit site
It's a wi-fi tablet only, and it has no SIM slot. I think I read that they used almost the same firmware (I think it's called?) for some tablets as they used on phones, and that's why.
It doesn't have any usage on my tablet whatsoever though, and I wouldn't mind having the app, or whatever it is, removed or turned off, as I'm never going to use it. Would that be possible? If not, is there a possibility that there in fact is an update for my tablet, and that it would be fixed in a newer version?

The 70% was indeed from when most of the battery was discharged, and that it's fully charged, it says 36% for Cell Standby, with 1 minute of run time.

I thank you very much for your fast reply and appreciate you, using your time looking into this. Looking forward to your answer!

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
It sounds like bad coding to me. If they're using firmware intended for a phone on a wifi only device, it may be that the system keeps looking for a nonexistent cell signal, which uses battery. Updates really depends on the manufacturer, and the lesser known ones generally don't support their devices very well. You could try contacting the manufacturer, but I wouldn't be too hopeful.

The other option is to root the device and install a custom ROM, but there needs to be a big enough user community to support this kind of thing.

Posted via Android Central App.
Please excuse any typos or autocorrect derps.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol