Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
+ Reply Subscribe
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    AC Question

Default The weird green and red horizontal arrows on status bar

They just suddenly appeared on my status bar. has anyone actually figured out what it is yet? I tried rebooting my phone but the arrows are still there. They're not the 'sent/received' arrows, they're sort of tiny and stacked horizontal arrows.

Default Re: The weird green and red horizontal arrows on status bar

Welcome to Android Central! Can you show us a screenshot? Usually, to take a screenshot, you have to press and hold the Power and Volume Down buttons together for about half a second. Then, to post the screenshot on this website, first upload the screenshot to some cloud drive like Google Drive, and then download it from that cloud to your computer. Start a new post on this thread, and click on the Attach Image icon in the editing buttons (it looks like a little square picture of a tree, right next to the globe icons), and select the screenshot.

hi! Thanks for the quick reply! It looks like this.

I'm using a Note 3 (SM-N9005) Android version: 4.4.2.

It's weird because I got a notification for a 'software update' and the arrows only appeared after I accepted the update. I didn't think to check what version my phone was on before that, but I did notice some differences. Like, my screenlock sound is now an annoying 'drip-drop' water sound instead of the sharp 'snick' lock/unlock effect. While i was trying to see if I could get it back, I noticed the ripple effect for unlocking is gone too.

Found this thread in another forum: http://androidforums.com/samsung-gal...ation-bar.html

Yeah I saw that thread, but I feel like it hasn't answer any questions.

Firstly, the icon doesn't go away when I reboot. I even tried switching off the phone for a few minutes and switching back on.

Secondly the usual 4G/3G data icons are vertically oriented, if I disable my wifi and re-enable mobile data, the 4G icon reappears and looks as normal. These arrows are horizontal.

Thirdly, not only are they horizontal, they're also stacked. The incoming/outgoing arrows are individual, coloured green and orange-y red (instead of green and red-red) and appear in the phone logs along with other icons like missed calls and the like.

Edit: I do admit it must have something to do with data though. Because if I enable airplane mode, the arrows disappear. But they come back when I disable airplane mode. Strangely enough, they remain even when I manually disable wifi AND mobile data.

Could it be related to Wi-Fi Direct? Wi-Fi Direct On/Off - Samsung Galaxy Note® 3

Nope. It's not wifi direct (although enabling S Beam and NFC caused my phone to beep like a time bomb @_@). After more searching around I think I may have discovered the source of the problem. Seems like my provider has a new VoLTE service available on Note 3s and they activated it without sending any notifications:

Galaxy Note 3 on VoLTE - www.hardwarezone.com.sg
    Thanked by:

Good find! It's interesting that others have mentioned this icon since late 2013, but I suppose they might have been testing VoLTE in those areas without letting anyone know.

I had the same problem although the arrows where gray. In my case it was the network restriction option, turn this off and the arrows will go away.