Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
+ Reply
Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    AC Question
    AC Question's Avatar
    Guest

    Default GPS only locks when screen is off

    hello fellow androidian,

    I have a very peculiar problem with my GPS on my I9500 samsung s4 exynos. The gps seems to only lock to position when the screen is turned off, if the screen is on, it keeps on searching. This is not exclusive to any one apps but happens to all GPS related apps. I noticed that this happen after I put on a tempered glass screen protector on. Would this glass create some sort of interference with the GPS? it is really weird cos other phones like iphone 5 does not have this problem using the tempered glass from the exact same manufacturer. Anyone have any idea how to solve this without having to remove the tempered glass?

    Thanks all
  2. #2  
    Golfdriver97's Avatar

    Posts
    31,144 Posts
    Global Posts
    31,642 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Pure Nexus/Franco Kernel

    Default Re: GPS only locks when screen is off

    Welcome to the forums. The screen protector shouldn't be doing that at all. Have you always had a problem with the GPS? Or is this new?

    From a Carbon M8 and AC Forums app
  3. #3  

    Default Re: GPS only locks when screen is off

    Quote Originally Posted by Golfdriver97 View Post
    Welcome to the forums. The screen protector shouldn't be doing that at all. Have you always had a problem with the GPS? Or is this new?

    From a Carbon M8 and AC Forums app
    This is definitely new. I've tried all other options such as setting the right NTP servers and all but problem still persists.
  4. #4  
    Golfdriver97's Avatar

    Posts
    31,144 Posts
    Global Posts
    31,642 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Pure Nexus/Franco Kernel

    Default Re: GPS only locks when screen is off

    Quote Originally Posted by Hasanul Hamid View Post
    This is definitely new. I've tried all other options such as setting the right NTP servers and all but problem still persists.
    I am going to be honest, I have no idea what to suggest. Have you done a reset (and I hate suggesting resets)?

    From a Carbon M8 and AC Forums app
  5. #5  

    Default Re: GPS only locks when screen is off

    Quote Originally Posted by Golfdriver97 View Post
    I am going to be honest, I have no idea what to suggest. Have you done a reset (and I hate suggesting resets)?

    From a Carbon M8 and AC Forums app
    Yerp, done all of that, reflash with stock ROM from Samsung, reformat all including internal memory and sdcard, but still the same. I really don't want to remove the tempered glass then knowing it is a hardware problem. Is there any way to know if it's hardware problem?
  6. #6  
    Golfdriver97's Avatar

    Posts
    31,144 Posts
    Global Posts
    31,642 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Pure Nexus/Franco Kernel

    Default Re: GPS only locks when screen is off

    Quote Originally Posted by Hasanul Hamid View Post
    Yerp, done all of that, reflash with stock ROM from Samsung, reformat all including internal memory and sdcard, but still the same. I really don't want to remove the tempered glass then knowing it is a hardware problem. Is there any way to know if it's hardware problem?
    I don't know of any way of testing it to ensure it is hardware. Sorry I am not much help.
  7. #7  

    Default Re: GPS only locks when screen is off

    Quote Originally Posted by Golfdriver97 View Post
    I don't know of any way of testing it to ensure it is hardware. Sorry I am not much help.
    No worries mate, lets hope somebody can answer this question before i just change my phone altogether (good excuse for changing phone eh?).
  8. #8  
    Golfdriver97's Avatar

    Posts
    31,144 Posts
    Global Posts
    31,642 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Pure Nexus/Franco Kernel

    Default Re: GPS only locks when screen is off

    Quote Originally Posted by Hasanul Hamid View Post
    No worries mate, lets hope somebody can answer this question before i just change my phone altogether (good excuse for changing phone eh?).
    Well, if you want some suggestions, I would say look at the Moto X or the Nexus 5. I have used both, and I have a slight preference to the X. Always listening and active notifications are truly awesome!

Similar Threads

  1. Samsung GS5 screen freezing for 2-3secs.
    By Philipp Yeo in forum Android 4.4 KitKat
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06-17-2014, 10:44 AM
  2. My battery is legendary
    By jmarkey77 in forum LG G2
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-14-2014, 08:50 PM
  3. HELP: HTC ONE m7 Black Screen with permanently lit up keys.
    By TsukiyomiNotti in forum HTC One M7
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-14-2014, 02:38 PM
  4. clicking noise when typing or texting
    By Unregistered in forum Ask a Question
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-14-2014, 01:12 PM
  5. Clock app frequently keeps phone awake/wakes up phone when alarm is set
    By icouldntpossiblycomment in forum Samsung Galaxy S5
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-14-2014, 12:33 PM

Posting Permissions