Correct process of mounting a micro sd card-Galaxy Note 3

Bid

Feb 12, 2014
Visit site
This is probably a stupid question but I just wanted to check exactly how to mount a micro sd card into my Galaxy Note 3, meaning do I need to back anything up or change preferences before I do this? And once mounted do I need to continually take photos off it and move them to my pc just for back up purposes? I'm wanting to use it simply for photo storage as I have an adapter so I can easily print off my pics etc. Forgive my noobie questions, I just want to make sure I'm doing everything correct and don't stuff anything up or loose photos as I have so many. Thank you in advance!!

The amazing Note 3!

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Not stupid at all! Mounting a microSD card is just a matter of inserting it. It should automatically mount. The only time you have to tap a Mount button would be if you Unmount the card and it remains in the slot.

I usually recommend relatively frequent backups of photos, especially ones stored on a mobile device. And especially ones stored on an external SD card on a Samsung device, because I see too many posts here about SD cards getting corrupted on Samsung devices, or photos mysteriously vanishing.

If you want to make sure photos get backed up automatically, the Google+ Auto Backup option can be useful.

Bid

Feb 12, 2014
Visit site
Not stupid at all! Mounting a microSD card is just a matter of inserting it. It should automatically mount. The only time you have to tap a Mount button would be if you Unmount the card and it remains in the slot.

I usually recommend relatively frequent backups of photos, especially ones stored on a mobile device. And especially ones stored on an external SD card on a Samsung device, because I see too many posts here about SD cards getting corrupted on Samsung devices, or photos mysteriously vanishing.

If you want to make sure photos get backed up automatically, the Google+ Auto Backup option can be useful.

Thank you so much for your reply! I have the sandisk ultra UHS-1, 32GB micro and want to get it all ready to go but I'm having some serious noobie moments with my photo gallery on my phone. Maybe you could pretty please help me with this also?? Ok so on the Note 3 the gallery is devided into folders/album's automatically. For eg. Camera, downloaded, pixlr, scrapbook, screenshots etc etc. (I know I can change the view of this but like how it catorgisers them) Anyway, I go to drag and drop my pics from my phone storage onto my pc, I find the folder DCIM under 'camera' and I grab my pics from there and move them but...I can't find the other folders listed above (downloaded, scrapbook etc) to drag the photos out from there. Does that make sense? I'm wondering if the photos and edits etc are all automatically put into the "camera" album and then just duplicated into the other listed folders for easy organisation? I'm worried about loosing the other photos and ones I've edited through 3rd party apps. Does that make sense? Or are those pics stored separately as when I open my phone as a device on my pc, under DCIM the only folders in there are "camera" and "facebook".
Any help would be greatly appreciated thank you!!

The amazing Note 3!

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
The folders you see in the Gallery app are not all located in the same place in your device's folder hierarchy. Android scans the entire storage for photos and displays them in the Gallery. If you were to make a separate folder called "Family Pics" somewhere outside of the DCIM folder, Android would find that folder and include it in the Gallery (as long as there were valid photos in the folder). If you want to copy and backup photos manually, you'll have to become familiar with what folders each particular app stores photos in--they don't all necessarily save to the DCIM folder.

Bid

Feb 12, 2014
Visit site
The folders you see in the Gallery app are not all located in the same place in your device's folder hierarchy. Android scans the entire storage for photos and displays them in the Gallery. If you were to make a separate folder called "Family Pics" somewhere outside of the DCIM folder, Android would find that folder and include it in the Gallery (as long as there were valid photos in the folder). If you want to copy and backup photos manually, you'll have to become familiar with what folders each particular app stores photos in--they don't all necessarily save to the DCIM folder.

Thank you! Is there an easier way to transfer my photos off my phone onto my pc other than just dragging and dropping?

Is there a way of creating a folder within my gallery that will show up on my pc when I open it up? I have created albums for certain events in my gallery on the phone but those folders aren't there on my pc when plugged in?

The amazing Note 3!

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Windows should have an option to Import Photos--when you connect the phone via USB, right click on the phone in Windows Explorer and select the Import Photos option. But I'm not sure if it will import every single image, or only photos in the DCIM folder.

I think dragging and dropping is pretty easy--you can multiselect easily witin a folder on Windows Explorer. If the photos are widely spread throughout your phone, it can be more of a hassle, but just keep track of the folders and you should be fine.

Which gallery app are you using? If it's the Samsung one, I can't really give you any more details about it, since I don't have Samsung devices.