Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Galaxy S4 help!

I plugged my phone into my charger and woke up the next day with the Samsung Galaxy S4 screen stuck on the phone. Took it to a repair to fix it and paid $150 for some kind of repair (not factory reset) and I used it for 3 days and it was doing the same thing, it was stuck on the Samsung Galaxy S4 screen after I charged it.
    I took it back to the repair and they just told me it was an issue with the main board/motherboard. Is it even worth it trying to replace the part? It might be my paranoia or something but what if it's more than an issue with the motherboard? Would it be better to just buy another phone? Help

Default Re: Galaxy S4 help!

Welcome to Android Central! It would be nice to know what they did the first time to try to fix it. In the meantime, try booting into Recovery and clearing the system cache partition. Reset: Samsung Galaxy S 4 | T-Mobile Support

A couple of other things to try:
    1. Try a new battery, since a failing battery can cause various issues.
    2. If you have an external SD card, unmount it (in Settings>Storage), remove it, and reboot. A corrupt card can cause issues as well.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

From what they told me, they did a software reboot (I'm not sure what that is honestly..) and it was functioning properly for a few days when the phone got 'corrupted'. I went back today and they told me that it was a problem with the main board (mother board or hardware?) issue. Apparently one of the chips, out of ten chips, were not responding and they're trying to figure out what the problem is. They told me it was probably one of the applications that I have downloaded a while ago that destroyed the main board.

If it is the issue with the main board chips then is it even worth it to keep using that phone after the repair, if it does get repaired? I have a feeling that the S4 is not that great of a phone..two of my family members have the same phone and they seem to be having different problems with the phone.

Quote Originally Posted by B. Diddy View Post
    Welcome to Android Central! It would be nice to know what they did the first time to try to fix it. In the meantime, try booting into Recovery and clearing the system cache partition. Reset: Samsung Galaxy S 4 | T-Mobile Support

A couple of other things to try:
    1. Try a new battery, since a failing battery can cause various issues.
    2. If you have an external SD card, unmount it (in Settings>Storage), remove it, and reboot. A corrupt card can cause issues as well.

If the repairs aren't covered by warranty or insurance, I think you may be better off getting a new phone. Once this kind of thing happens on a phone, it's likely to continue having problems.
    hwangmelly likes this.