Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
+ Reply Subscribe
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    AC Question

Default Vanilla Android on 10.1 2014 edition?

Hi all,

I bought my note 10.1 for a bit of gaming and drawing. I have a nexus 4 and really miss the stock android experience when using my note. My question is, can I go to vanilla android and still use the pressure sensitive stylus with sketchbook? I assume I have to root and install a custom rom for this, can anyone suggest a ROM? I got a refurb tablet and it's out of warranty so I'm not at all concerned about that, and i won't miss any of the "fancy" features samsung thinks i need..

Thanks!
    Ed

Global Posts
    21,665 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

Default Re: Vanilla Android on 10.1 2014 edition?

Quote Originally Posted by AC Question View Post
    Hi all,

I bought my note 10.1 for a bit of gaming and drawing. I have a nexus 4 and really miss the stock android experience when using my note. My question is, can I go to vanilla android and still use the pressure sensitive stylus with sketchbook? I assume I have to root and install a custom rom for this, can anyone suggest a ROM? I got a refurb tablet and it's out of warranty so I'm not at all concerned about that, and i won't miss any of the "fancy" features samsung thinks i need..

Thanks!
    Ed
    First you need to root the tablet and install a custom recovery. Next you would want to make a backup of the stock ROM in case you hit a snag, then with the custom recovery, flash the new ROM with gapps.

As for suggestions, its hard to say. Some ROMs may support your device and some may not. I would look at Cyanogen, Liquid smooth, Carbonrom to name a few.

From a Carbon M8 and AC Forums app

Phone Timeline
    'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Community Guidelines and also here

Default Re: Vanilla Android on 10.1 2014 edition?

Welcome to Android Central! Have you considered installing a 3rd party launcher like Nova? It gives you a very vanilla appearance, but has some nice customization features not available on vanilla.