Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Mustaphatty
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Just Rooted...SuperSU Wants To Disable Knox...Will It Void Warranty?

Hey Everyone,

Just finished rooting my Note 3 from T-Mobile with Towel Root. It didn't even trip the Knox warranty. Yay! I kind of wouldn't mind keeping it that way so I'm going to try to be careful with how I proceed. I downloaded SuperSU afterwards and installed it. Then a message popped up saying that root capabilities might be limited as long as Knox is enabled, it then asks me if I want to disable Knox. If i do so, will it then trip the warranty?? Just wondering...

Thanks in advance to anyone with any feedback!

Default Re: Just Rooted...SuperSU Wants To Disable Knox...Will It Void Warranty?

No, it will not trip the warranty.

You can proceed to install Titanium Backup (if you own it) and freeze all the Knox services, and then install all kinds of root-like things (such as Xposed Framework, XPrivacy, Busybox) and this still won't trip your Knox warranty.

The only way that might happen is if you flash any ROM other than an official Samsung one (and that includes an older official Samsung ROM than the one you're currently using). What Knox has done is to create a permanent handshake between your bootloader and the Knox aware e-fuse hardware in your phone. As long as you're using the ROM that came with that bootloader, you are good, and now that Towel Root allows you to root, you can enjoy all the benefits of that. But the only other ROMs you're going to be able to use without tripping Knox are newer ones provided by Samsung (thus, forget about Cyanogenmod and friends), and those may not allow you to stay rooted.

Hope that shed some light on what you may or may not do given your predicament.
    Thanked by:
    Joan Crawford likes this.

Default Re: Just Rooted...SuperSU Wants To Disable Knox...Will It Void Warranty?

Would you happen to know if Nova Launcher will trip Knox? It's not a custom ROM but it is a custom launcher that asks for root access.

Nova Launcher and other Launchers are just apps, basically, that run on the phone. Nothing to worry about. Root or non-rooted people can use whatever Launcher they wish with no worries.