Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
+ Reply Subscribe
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Iron_Dad
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    AC Question

Default Galaxy S3 Overheating & Battery Drain - Suspect Rogue Application

My Galaxy S3 has been overheating and the battery draining quickly for about a week now. When I check I find that an application called Media is running in the background and is using a huge amount of processing power. I can kill this process from the Running section of the Application Manager but it keeps turning back on. I can't find Media as an application or I would just uninstall it. When I manage to stop Media running my phone goes back to normal until the blasted thing starts up again. Can anyone help me to get rid of it or kill it permanently it please?

Thumbs up Re: Galaxy S3 Overheating & Battery Drain - Suspect Rogue Application

I think that I have found the answer myself. I noticed that the overheating and battery drain problem was particularly bad whenever I ran the program QuickPic. The Media background process started to run when I used QuickPic and was difficult to stop. All I did was to uninstall QuickPic then reinstall it and the problem seems to have gone away. Time will tell but I think that I've cracked it as my phone has been cool for a few hours now and the battery isn't draining any more than normal.

Default Re: Galaxy S3 Overheating & Battery Drain - Suspect Rogue Application

Welcome to Android Central! Glad that you found the problem. Do you have a lot of photos stored on an external SD card? Sometimes, if a photo is corrupt, the Media Scanner can get hung up on it, and cause the system to work overtime. (The Media Scanner is the component that scans all storage areas for media files, and populates the appropriate databases in the system so that the Gallery and the Music apps know what's on the phone.)

You could see what happens if you remove your SD card, because if you remove the source of the corrupt file, the Media scanner won't get hung up. Unmount the card first in Settings>Storage​, remove it, then reboot.

* I posted this before I saw your post B. Diddy.

I spoke too soon. My phone started to overheat later on and the battery ran out within a couple of hours. This morning I put in a brand new battery and I'll see if that cures the problem.
    Last edited by Iron_Dad; 06-20-2014 at 07:51 AM.

I'll give that a try B. Diddy and let you know how it works out. Thanks.

Your suggestion seems to be working B. Diddy. Without the SD card my phone is running cool again. While it is removed I have been backing up the SD card and my backup software is coming up with a couple of errors on image files in the cache that another program has made. I wonder if that is the problem? I'll delete that cache (13.7Gb!) and try the SD card in my phone to see if it still runs properly.
    B. Diddy likes this.

That could be it! Hopefully it'll work normally now.

Posted via Android Central App.
    Please excuse any typos or autocorrect derps.
    Thanked by: