How can I remove a Sign-in Request for Google Tasks?

A

AC Question

I just got an HTC One M8 and I keep getting this alert from Google to Sign in to Google for tasks.

I click on Cancel and it comes back, several times a day. I don't Google Calendar or tasks but for some reason this keeps showing up.

Any Help?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! How is the alert showing up--in the notification area, or as a popup? If it's a popup, I'd wonder about some kind of phishing scam, because there is no official Google Tasks app. Google Tasks has been mostly abandoned in favor of Google Keep, although I think you can still use Google Tasks on the web, and it will probably still sync with some 3rd party apps that were designed for Google Tasks.

If possible, please show us a screenshot of the alert.

Ski Bum

Jun 26, 2014
Visit site
I am having this same issue on my new Verizon HTC One (M8). It appears in the notification area several times a day with a picture of the app icon and says "Sign-in Request" and lists my gmail. I have tried disabling it in the app manager (comes up as "tasks" version 6.0.743865) but "disable" is grayed out. I am able to "force stop" but it doesn't seem to make a difference. When I search the Play store for "tasks" it doesn't seem to come up.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! My wife recently got an M8, so I was finally able to look into this in more detail. It looks like the M8 has an app from HTC called Tasks that actually syncs with Google Tasks, which is a somewhat outdated part of Gmail that is only accessible on mobile, not on the desktop: https://www.gmail.com/mail/help/tasks/

If it's causing problems, try going to Settings>Accounts-Google>[your Google account], and unchecking Tasks.

Ski Bum

Jun 26, 2014
Visit site
"Tasks" doesn't show up at that location for me to uncheck it. I did a factory reset (on accident because of the 10 attempts issue while in my pocket) and haven't seen the notification since then.

anon(730457)

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
Mine is unchecked on all three Google accounts attached to the phone, and I'm still getting constant notifications from HTC's Tasks app for sign-in requests. I've disabled everything I can in the app, cleared cache for Google Play Services (what HTC chat rep suggested), force-closed the app, restarted the phone multiple times, and it's still happening. I can disable notifications, but this thing is still using my battery and cell data (when I'm not on WiFi of course) multiple times per day and I can't disable it and I can't clear its cache and data.

WillRXR

Sep 26, 2015
Visit site
Same problem but on Samsung Galaxy S5. Keep getting notification in message par that there has been a sign-in request. Can't make it go away. Just had to restore my S5, and that's when it started.

Edunn12

Oct 16, 2015
Visit site
I have been experiencing this issue on my htc one m8 and was able to remove the requests to sign in to Tasks by following these steps:

Settings> Accounts & Sync> Google> Sign-in & Security> Connected apps & sites. Clicking Connected apps & sites takes me to myaccount.google.com and under the Connected apps & sites header, there's a section called Apps Connected to Your Account. In this section, Tasks was listed and I clicked the Manage Apps link. This brings me to a list of the apps connected to my device, I clicked Tasks and a Remove button appeared. I clicked Remove and this gave me a notification that said Tasks would no longer have access to my google accounts (which is what I wanted). I then just restarted my phone and the notifications went away and have not returned. I just did this a few days ago and haven't had sign in notifications from Tasks so hopefully this fixed the issue.

gsleon3

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
Just go into the Google Settings app & click the "three dots" menu button at the top right of the page. Select "Clear app data" & this will reset any pending data & notifications. You may have to associate some of the third party apps to your google account again, but anything currently installed & up to date should just continue to work fine.

Schnall

Oct 17, 2015
Visit site
If you press and hold the notification message, it will convert to a Google Play box. Then press on the little i for information. Then you can uncheck tasks and you will not have this problem anymore.

Posted via the Android Central App

HemroidCentral

Oct 31, 2015
Visit site
I started getting these yesterday and followed the instructions above to tap and hold the notification on my HTC One. When the settings and info icons appeared I tapped settings and turned ON the "Block all notifications for this app" option and the notification cleared itself immediately.

Posted via the Android Central App