Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
+ Reply Subscribe
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    AC Question

Default How can I remove a Sign-in Request for Google Tasks?

I just got an HTC One M8 and I keep getting this alert from Google to Sign in to Google for tasks.

I click on Cancel and it comes back, several times a day. I don't Google Calendar or tasks but for some reason this keeps showing up.

Any Help?

Default Re: How can I remove a Sign-in Request for Google Tasks?

Welcome to Android Central! How is the alert showing up--in the notification area, or as a popup? If it's a popup, I'd wonder about some kind of phishing scam, because there is no official Google Tasks app. Google Tasks has been mostly abandoned in favor of Google Keep, although I think you can still use Google Tasks on the web, and it will probably still sync with some 3rd party apps that were designed for Google Tasks.

If possible, please show us a screenshot of the alert.

I am having this same issue on my new Verizon HTC One (M8). It appears in the notification area several times a day with a picture of the app icon and says "Sign-in Request" and lists my gmail. I have tried disabling it in the app manager (comes up as "tasks" version 6.0.743865) but "disable" is grayed out. I am able to "force stop" but it doesn't seem to make a difference. When I search the Play store for "tasks" it doesn't seem to come up.

Just bought an HTC M8, and having the exact same problem... Repeated Google sign in requests... BIG nuisance ....

Welcome to Android Central! My wife recently got an M8, so I was finally able to look into this in more detail. It looks like the M8 has an app from HTC called Tasks that actually syncs with Google Tasks, which is a somewhat outdated part of Gmail that is only accessible on mobile, not on the desktop: https://www.gmail.com/mail/help/tasks/

If it's causing problems, try going to Settings>Accounts-Google>[your Google account], and unchecking Tasks.

"Tasks" doesn't show up at that location for me to uncheck it. I did a factory reset (on accident because of the 10 attempts issue while in my pocket) and haven't seen the notification since then.