Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
+ Reply Subscribe
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Golfdriver97
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    AC Question

Default nexus 4 rooted internet problems

I rooted my nexus 4 so I could get adblock working properly and install privacy x however since rooting the only apps to connect to the internet ok are firefox and tunein radio. Im hoping this will be an obvious fix to someone as google comes up with allsorts of ideas and I dont want to make my phone problems worse. Thanks in advance if you can help.

Global Posts
    19,835 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

Default Re: nexus 4 rooted internet problems

I have heard more often than not, adblock and such doesn't play well with Chrome, and hasn't for a while.

Phone Timeline
    'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Community Guidelines and also here
    Thanked by:

Hi thanks for the reply. Its not just chrome that isnt connecting ok all apps (apart from firefox, tunein radio and speedtest) say server error or cannot connect, chrome says err_tunnel_connection_failed and nothings changed apart from the root (I had adblock on the phone before and tried disabling it bit no difference) Im thinking now of installing a custom rom when I get some time tomorrow and hoping that will cure the connection problems.

Global Posts
    4,046 Global Posts
    ROM
    Phoenix 1.6 Sense 5 4.2.2

Quote Originally Posted by KindJester View Post
    Hi thanks for the reply. Its not just chrome that isnt connecting ok all apps (apart from firefox, tunein radio and speedtest) say server error or cannot connect, chrome says err_tunnel_connection_failed and nothings changed apart from the root (I had adblock on the phone before and tried disabling it bit no difference) Im thinking now of installing a custom rom when I get some time tomorrow and hoping that will cure the connection problems.
    There has been a known problem with Adblock that messes up the internet connect.

Here are just some examples of users having issues with WiFi not working properly with Adblock Plus.
    https://adblockplus.org/forum/viewto...12493&start=15

You can get around this by simply uninstalling it.

You can try these methods:

Adfree Android Newest Version - xda-developers

(MoaAB) Mother of All AD-BLOCKING (20 MAY 2014) BLOCKS Malware Spyware Bloatware - xda-developers

or you can download the Adblock plus add-on in the Mozilla Firefox browser.
    “Knowing how to think empowers you far beyond those who know only what to think.” - Neil deGrasse Tyson

In September of 2014 comes the greatest tool to modify almost any HTC phone. Unlock bootloader, flash recovery, root, and more. Open sourced, powerful, powered by the cloud via SSL, and best of all, it's 100% free. All built by me. Get ready to rock!

Thanked by:

Because adblock worked with no problems before the root I would have never thought it could cause these problems, but since uninstalling it all is working again with the internet on my phone. Ive installed adfree and its blocking the ads so im happy, thanks for the replies

Global Posts
    4,046 Global Posts
    ROM
    Phoenix 1.6 Sense 5 4.2.2

Because adblock worked with no problems before the root I would have never thought it could cause these problems, but since uninstalling it all is working again with the internet on my phone. Ive installed adfree and its blocking the ads so im happy, thanks for the replies
    Glad it worked out. Come back to AC if you run into any other problems.
    “Knowing how to think empowers you far beyond those who know only what to think.” - Neil deGrasse Tyson

In September of 2014 comes the greatest tool to modify almost any HTC phone. Unlock bootloader, flash recovery, root, and more. Open sourced, powerful, powered by the cloud via SSL, and best of all, it's 100% free. All built by me. Get ready to rock!

Global Posts
    19,835 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

Quote Originally Posted by wizzrah View Post
    Glad it worked out. Come back to AC if you run into any other problems.
    Or when you don't have any problems and want to help other users out!

From a Carbon M8 and AC Forums app

Phone Timeline
    'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Community Guidelines and also here
    wizzrah likes this.