Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Best antivirus for android

Hi, I'm in search of a good antivirus for my Android phone.
    I've trustgo and 360 mobile security but I'm not satisfied with their virus scanning. Though 360 is good at cache removing and speed increasing.
    But is there a free antivirus that has web security as well.I mean if I open a
    malware containing site, it warns me.
    Also all antivirus scans only the apps but not the videos, photos etc downloading or Bluetooth sharing.
    Zoner scanned the Bluetooth files but it consumed too much data.
    Can anyone guide me about antivirus. Please recommend those you used for a long time. Thanks

Default Re: Best antivirus for android

Quote Originally Posted by Rem22 View Post
    I've trustgo and 360 mobile security but I'm not satisfied with their virus scanning. Though 360 is good at cache removing and speed increasing.
    Also all antivirus scans only the apps but not the videos, photos etc downloading or Bluetooth sharing.
    Can anyone guide me about antivirus. Please recommend those you used for a long time. Thanks
    Malware is a pretty big topic of debate when it comes to Android. A lot of people say you don't need an Antivirus app, while there are many others who say you do.

I would recommend you find an app that gives you more features than just an Antivirus. A feature you should look for is Anti-Theft protection.

Take a look at this list. These are some of the best Antivirus apps on Android.

I recommend "Lookout Antivirus" to people who don't really care about Anti-Theft services, or who already have an Anti-Theft app. It has a minimal footprint and runs smoothly. It also has a 'Signal flare' feature that will email you your device's last location if your phone is turned on; the feature is activated when your battery hits the critical mark.

Avast Antivirus is also a great app. And it may be the best overall security app.

Global Posts
    3,761 Global Posts
    ROM
    WDGI EX Rom v1.0

For malware, I use: Malwarebytes: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...es.antimalware

For Anti-virus, I use Comodo Mobile Security: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...modo.pimsecure

A principle rule for Android is to be careful of what you install on your phone.
    “Knowing how to think empowers you far beyond those who know only what to think.” - Neil deGrasse Tyson

ADB Console by wizzrah. Check it out!: http://forums.androidcentral.com/sof...e-wizzrah.html

Rem,

To me it sounds like you're approaching anti-virus and malware from a PC perspective. I am definitely on the side of you really don't need anti-virus if you only install apps from reputable app stores (e.g. Play Store, Amazon App Store, Humble Bundle, etc. Here's why.

All reputable app stores that I'm aware of (i.e. the Play Store and Amazon App Store) scan their apps for malware. Sites like Humble Bundle only get apps directly from developers. So you know all those apps are safe.

You mentioned having something to protect you from malicious website and scanning of photos, videos, and other files. By default, apps from "unknown sources" (i.e. anything not from the Google Play Store) are not allowed to be installed. Even if you choose to change that setting (usually under Security settings) and allow unknown sources, Android will not allow anything to be installed without prompting you. So a virus cannot get installed in the background without you knowing (like on a PC). The only thing a malicious website or file could do is prompt you do download or install an app. Don't download or install apps from any website you don't trust. If you get a prompt to install an app, and you don't know where it came from hit "cancel".

There are some malicious website that will try to trick you into installing an app, but like I said they can't do it without you accepting. Most viruses and malware on android come from app pirating websites. At these sites people upload pirated or cracked apps, and the sites don't scan them. So hackers sometimes upload malicious apps. Don't pirate apps, and use some common sense and you'll be fine.

There are some virus scanning apps that include anti-theft protection. You might want to consider this usage, but remember that Google allows you to lock or wipe a lost phone remotely without any extra app. Some 3rd party apps will go a step further and take a picture of the thief or send a message with it's location.

A bigger problem than viruses, is apps with overly aggressive ads ... some even verge on data mining. An app that I'd highly recommend for this is "Ad-Network Detector" by Lookout. http://play.google.com/store/apps/de...out.addetector It will scan every app and tell you what ad-networks it's using and what it can do. For example if it can push ads to the notification bar, change your homepage or bookmarks, collect personal info, etc. (Technically this isn't "malware" because the app told you it could do these things when you installed it, and you gave it permission.) Remember, many free apps (especially games) rely on ads and ad networks to make money; that's why they can be free. But there are certain lines that ad-networks shouldn't cross.

I hope this helps!
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Thanks a lot everyone, you all were of great help

Just wanted to ask, is it harmful to have more than one antivirus app?

Global Posts
    3,761 Global Posts
    ROM
    WDGI EX Rom v1.0

Thanks a lot everyone, you all were of great help

Just wanted to ask, is it harmful to have more than one antivirus app?
    The anti-virus programs will conflict each other, so it is not recommended.
    “Knowing how to think empowers you far beyond those who know only what to think.” - Neil deGrasse Tyson

ADB Console by wizzrah. Check it out!: http://forums.androidcentral.com/sof...e-wizzrah.html