What's the best phone for a dad?

A

AC Question

So I want to my dad a new smartphone. He's been using the iPhone 4s for a couple years now and it seems to work for him but I feel something new and better would benefit him more. He has problems seeing close up and problems seeing small lettering so the 4s is kinda of troublesome. Is the android or windows system easily adjustable for the older folks or should I just wait for something like the iPhone 6 which is likely to have a bigger screen to come out? Money is not really a concern

frag06

Jun 11, 2014
Visit site
So I want to my dad a new smartphone. He's been using the iPhone 4s for a couple years now and it seems to work for him but I feel something new and better would benefit him more. He has problems seeing close up and problems seeing small lettering so the 4s is kinda of troublesome. Is the android or windows system easily adjustable for the older folks or should I just wait for something like the iPhone 6 which is likely to have a bigger screen to come out? Money is not really a concern

To answer this question effectively, I think we're going to need a little more info.

Is your dad good with technology? This is probably the biggest question. Adjusting to Android or Windows OS from an iPhone isn't exactly hard, but it takes some getting used to. Also, what are his usage habits? This can help answer this question as well.

The iPhone 6 may be a good choice, but there a quite a few Android choices, too.

The next iPhone isn't likely to arrive until August or later.

frag06

Jun 11, 2014
Visit site
He is a little on the bad side with technology. His usage would be checking and buying stock on the go, maps, calling, surfing the web for news and such.

I see. A lot of older folks have some trouble with phones. Luckily, there are many to choose from and even more guides and people around to help!

If you are looking for a bigger screen, most modern Android phones have at least a 4.5 inch screen. This is a nice size increase from the iPhone 4s' 3.5 inch screen. With a screen this big, you want to look for a screen with at least a 720p resolution. Once you hit five inches, you should be looking for a 1080p screen.

The iPhone 5s has a four inch screen and is a nice phone, if you want to keep him on iOS. The price is rather high, though.

If you want to go Android, you should look at the Moto G with LTE. It is a nice phone with great battery life, a nice 4.5 inch, 720p screen and is a mid range phone. This phone costs $220, and is unlocked.

The next step up would be the Moto X. It has some great features, good battery life, a 4.7 inch 720p screen and is a flagship device. I could also suggest the Nexus 5, which is a great phone. It has good battery life, Vanilla Android, prompt software updates, and a 5 inch 1080p screen. It is Google's flagship as of right now. Both of these phones cost $350.

After these phones, it gets a little more complicated. There are many phones, and prices are about what the iPhone 5s currently costs.

Are you looking for a phone with a new contract, or an unlocked phone?

iokakazuto

May 21, 2014
Visit site
I see. A lot of older folks have some trouble with phones. Luckily, there are many to choose from and even more guides and people around to help!

If you are looking for a bigger screen, most modern Android phones have at least a 4.5 inch screen. This is a nice size increase from the iPhone 4s' 3.5 inch screen. With a screen this big, you want to look for a screen with at least a 720p resolution. Once you hit five inches, you should be looking for a 1080p screen.

The iPhone 5s has a four inch screen and is a nice phone, if you want to keep him on iOS. The price is rather high, though.

If you want to go Android, you should look at the Moto G with LTE. It is a nice phone with great battery life, a nice 4.5 inch, 720p screen and is a mid range phone. This phone costs $220, and is unlocked.

The next step up would be the Moto X. It has some great features, good battery life, a 4.7 inch 720p screen and is a flagship device. I could also suggest the Nexus 5, which is a great phone. It has good battery life, Vanilla Android, prompt software updates, and a 5 inch 1080p screen. It is Google's flagship as of right now. Both of these phones cost $350.

After these phones, it gets a little more complicated. There are many phones, and prices are about what the iPhone 5s currently costs.

Are you looking for a phone with a new contract, or an unlocked phone?
We were going to put him on our 10gb att family plan. Moto g sounds great as well as the moto x. I'm on iOS right now and plan on getting android too (switching to the htc m8) preferably contract may be easier to deal with but seeing as unlocked seems to have far more variety on smartphones that's an option.

frag06

Jun 11, 2014
Visit site
We were going to put him on our 10gb att family plan. Moto g sounds great as well as the moto x. I'm on iOS right now and plan on getting android too (switching to the htc m8) preferably contract may be easier to deal with but seeing as unlocked seems to have far more variety on smartphones that's an option.

Good to hear. Great choice with the M8, it truly is a lovely phone!

I do understand looking for a contract. The subsidized price is appealing. I tend to prefer unlocked phones for the simple reason of choice. Both carrier wise and to have the freedom to upgrade when I choose. You pay full price, but for some people the benefits outweigh the cost. It's really up to you to choose which is best for you.

And so you know, most phones that come on contract also come unlocked. There aren't too many phones these days that come unlocked but not with an option for a contract. It really comes down to the carrier, and sometimes the company who makes the phone.

The Moto G isn't sold by AT&T; it is only sold unlocked. The Moto X is, however, and is currently free with a two year contract. If you're going the contract route, this is definitely better than paying $220 for the Moto G.

I suggest you read AnandTech's review of the Moto G and Moto X. They are rather long, and you can probably skip some things, but they are very thorough reviews.