Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
+ Reply Subscribe
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By rowala
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    AC Question

Unhappy Droid Maxx Developer Edition Activation Problem

I received a Droid Maxx Developer Edition (MOTXT1080MDEV) directly from Motorola to replace my Droid MAXX HD, which had many features rendered useless by the KitKat upgrade. It is labeled as a Verizon unit and came with a Verizon SIM card. After 4 hours on the phone with Verizon tech support and 1 hour in a Verizon store, my phone still is not activated. The store personnel stated that they believe that the Developer Edition was not intended to be used by a "regular" customer and that it is not compatible with the network. That seems odd given that it is a Verizon unit and was sent to me by Motorola after a full explanation of why I needed it. Furthermore, there appear to be a substantial number of posts from people who use the phone successfully on the Verizon network. The store personnel also tried a number of other new SIM cards in the store, each of which indicated an incompatibility when scanned.

I didn't really care about receiving the Developer Edition, but that was the only Maxx model that Motorola still had in stock. The Verizon store thought that they could exchange it for a regular model, but that would force me to give up my unlimited data plan, which I don't want to do.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I really need a fully-functional phone. Thank you.

Global Posts
    161 Global Posts

Default Re: Droid Maxx Developer Edition Activation Problem

Quote Originally Posted by AC Question View Post
    I received a Droid Maxx Developer Edition (MOTXT1080MDEV) directly from Motorola to replace my Droid MAXX HD, which had many features rendered useless by the KitKat upgrade. It is labeled as a Verizon unit and came with a Verizon SIM card. After 4 hours on the phone with Verizon tech support and 1 hour in a Verizon store, my phone still is not activated. The store personnel stated that they believe that the Developer Edition was not intended to be used by a "regular" customer and that it is not compatible with the network. That seems odd given that it is a Verizon unit and was sent to me by Motorola after a full explanation of why I needed it. Furthermore, there appear to be a substantial number of posts from people who use the phone successfully on the Verizon network. The store personnel also tried a number of other new SIM cards in the store, each of which indicated an incompatibility when scanned.

I didn't really care about receiving the Developer Edition, but that was the only Maxx model that Motorola still had in stock. The Verizon store thought that they could exchange it for a regular model, but that would force me to give up my unlimited data plan, which I don't want to do.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I really need a fully-functional phone. Thank you.
    Do you have the EDGE program? I've heard it doesn't play nice with unlimited data plans and phone activation.

No. I thought that the unlimited data plan could be an issue, but I find it hard to believe that Verizon cannot somehow overide any "block" that exists.

Global Posts
    161 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by rowala View Post
    No. I thought that the unlimited data plan could be an issue, but I find it hard to believe that Verizon cannot somehow overide any "block" that exists.
    They may be able to if you can talk to the right person.

I have heard of unlimited data plans being an issue, both with EDGE and without. I suggest you call them and ask for a supervisor. In-store associates can be helpful, but are usually not equipped to handle these problems efficiently. Although, I guess it really depends on how knowledgeable they are. Calling them is a hassle, I know, but it is probably the only way to fix this problem.

I have heard of a few people getting it resolved in-store, but most have called tech support or have chatted online with Verizon.

If you have any more questions, we are here to help!

Quote Originally Posted by frag06 View Post
    They may be able to if you can talk to the right person.

I have heard of unlimited data plans being an issue, both with EDGE and without. I suggest you call them and ask for a supervisor. In-store associates can be helpful, but are usually not equipped to handle these problems efficiently. Although, I guess it really depends on how knowledgeable they are. Calling them is a hassle, I know, but it is probably the only way to fix this problem.

I have heard of a few people getting it resolved in-store, but most have called tech support or have chatted online with Verizon.

If you have any more questions, we are here to help!
    Thanks. I am back on the phone with Verizon. I should just open a bottle of wine to dull the inevitable pain, but as it isn't yet 12 Noon, I should probably wait a while. I suspect that by the end of the conversation, I would need to switch to bourbon or scotch in any case.

Global Posts
    161 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by rowala View Post
    Thanks. I am back on the phone with Verizon. I should just open a bottle of wine to dull the inevitable pain, but as it isn't yet 12 Noon, I should probably wait a while. I suspect that by the end of the conversation, I would need to switch to bourbon or scotch in any case.
    I hear you, man! It can be like pulling teeth!

Verizon and Motorola finally decided that perhaps there was a problem with the replacement phone. Motorola sent me another replacement and, VOILA, it activated right away. So far, everything seems to be working, and battery life is even better than my old RAZR MAXX HD. I also like the wireless charging.
    Thanked by:
    frag06 
    frag06 likes this.