Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Question Nexus 7 wifi weirdness (another one!)

Hi,

I so want to like my new Nexus7 (2013 LTE) bought 2 days ago but boy oh boy is it ever hard love!

Out of the box (I think 4.3 but didn't check) setting up the device it connected up just fine - connected to my Gmail & loaded apps etc. Then I opted to install the upgrade that I was advised was available (version 4.4.2 - 4.4.3 not available for N7 LTE at this stage) .

Following this network connectivity failed. I could make a wifi connection to router (device shows connected in Router GUI & could ping it from my PC : saw IP address as assigned on my N7) but the wifi quick settings status display was AMBER not white - so no Internet connectivity.

I have trawled & trawled and tried changing everything from channels, mode, frequency bands, turned security and MAC filtering on and off etc etc but to no avail. And just so you know the 3 other android devices in the house (Nexus7 2012, Nexus4 and Moto G) all connect just fine. I raised a ticket with Google but have little hope anything will come of that.

But, but - I thought I'd try setting up my N4 to tether and lo-and-behold I get a good wifi connection to that. I also went back into the O2 shop where I bought the N7 and had the same lack of full connectivity except when they registered and connected me to the O2 mobile hotspot - which succeeded.

I have 7 working days during which I can return the device i.e. by Friday 27th which I will do if I can't resolve - so any help would be greatly appreciated

BR
    John

Default Re: Nexus 7 wifi weirdness (another one!)

Welcome to Android Central! Apologies if you've already tried everything here, but review this guide: http://forums.androidcentral.com/amb...-problems.html

IN CASE YOU'RE WONDERING, I'll be on vacation from 7/27 to 8/13, with only intermittent web access. So if you don't see me around much, don't worry, I didn't defect to another site or anything like that.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Hi,

Thanks for that - I had found that guide and have tried all the options (and more!) all to no avail.

I just can't figure out (a) why I can get an IP connection to the router but no onward connectivity and (b) why connecting via the tethered N4 works but not any of the other various configs I have tried
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Hi again,

I have reverted to Jelly Bean (thanks to Wugfresh!) and was sure that would sort it but NO!

Something happens to the wifi connection in the milliseconds after it initially connects - after hitting 'Connect' you can see the status start off as OK (white bars (blue in Jelly Bean, white in KK) and then amber after about half a sec (white in JB, amber in KK). So even though it's had a complete new OS installed and factory reset something has changed somewhere to what was configured when I took the device out of the box originally.

I've tried renaming SSID to see if it's some setup config lingering in a cache or something but no so I'm clear our if ideas now and I don't even think waiting for 4.4.3 or 4.4.4 is going to do any good.