Recover Content from broken GS4

KillaQuila315

Jun 22, 2014
Visit site
Hello all.

I am relatively new to android (have only owned GS4 for almost two years). Unfortunately, I recently dropped my GS4 and the display is completely broken. I can power on the phone but the display hardly turns on and is unresponsive. It really wasn't a far fall but it just landed right on the top corner...bummer. Anyways, it's time for an upgrade. I have never upgraded from one android to another and I am unsure as to how much transfers to the new phone. One thing (the only thing) I liked about the iphone was that when I got a new phone, linking it to my apple account would restore my contacts, pictures, apps (and the progress I had made on them), etc. Basically you could pick up where you left off on the old phone. How does this process work on android? Is all of this information stored on the Google account. And if not, are there ways to move everything over, even with a busted display? My photos are on the MicroSD, and my contacts are on the SIM card, so the main thing that I really want to have on my new phone is all of the apps. I would hate to have to take all of the time to try to remember what Apps I had and re-install all of them. And it would suck to lose all of the progress I had made on certain games (soooo many levels of Flow..).

Anyways, any help/advice you could provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Hello all.

I am relatively new to android (have only owned GS4 for almost two years). Unfortunately, I recently dropped my GS4 and the display is completely broken. I can power on the phone but the display hardly turns on and is unresponsive. It really wasn't a far fall but it just landed right on the top corner...bummer. Anyways, it's time for an upgrade. I have never upgraded from one android to another and I am unsure as to how much transfers to the new phone. One thing (the only thing) I liked about the iphone was that when I got a new phone, linking it to my apple account would restore my contacts, pictures, apps (and the progress I had made on them), etc. Basically you could pick up where you left off on the old phone. How does this process work on android? Is all of this information stored on the Google account. And if not, are there ways to move everything over, even with a busted display? My photos are on the MicroSD, and my contacts are on the SIM card, so the main thing that I really want to have on my new phone is all of the apps. I would hate to have to take all of the time to try to remember what Apps I had and re-install all of them. And it would suck to lose all of the progress I had made on certain games (soooo many levels of Flow..).

Anyways, any help/advice you could provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Google has an auto restore feature. The biggest question is did you have that enabled in the other phone?

If not, it still shouldn't take too long to recompile the apps. If you open Play, then either click the menu at the upper left or in the case of a Samsung, click menu, you will see a list of options. My Apps>then swipe over to the right will show all the apps you have downloaded with the account.

From a Carbon M8 and AC Forums app

KillaQuila315

Jun 22, 2014
Visit site
Google has an auto restore feature. The biggest question is did you have that enabled in the other phone?

If not, it still shouldn't take too long to recompile the apps. If you open Play, then either click the menu at the upper left or in the case of a Samsung, click menu, you will see a list of options. My Apps>then swipe over to the right will show all the apps you have downloaded with the account.

From a Carbon M8 and AC Forums app

Ok so that would allow me to see what apps I had installed on my other phone, and install them on my new phone, but would that also maintain my content and progress in all my apps? Because on my Nexus 7, when I installed apps that way it was as if I had never used the app before, so all of my progress was lost. Is there any way to avoid that?

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Ok so that would allow me to see what apps I had installed on my other phone, and install them on my new phone, but would that also maintain my content and progress in all my apps? Because on my Nexus 7, when I installed apps that way it was as if I had never used the app before, so all of my progress was lost. Is there any way to avoid that?

It won't restore any saved data like game saves. However, with many games now if you connect it to your G+ account it will save your game data for you (similar to connecting to FB). Some games have their own servers and will restore previous saved data to your new device. I have a game, CSR racing, and I just loaded it on to my M8 (never installed on it before) and it restored completely. So it kinda depends on the app and situation.

I more suggested this as an alternate way to get your apps back on your phone.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
w8wca