Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
+ Reply
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Power Cycling??

Hello everyone,

A month ago I rooted my evo lte, and I kept s-on and the stock ROM that came with Sprint's last official OTA update for my device. I used the WinDroid method because I'm new to rooting htc devices. I haven't had any problems, until just a couple days ago.

I fully powered down the phone to charge, and when I restarted it it booted to the home screen, then restarted itself. Over and over again. I caught it and booted into recovery where I wiped the dalvik and system caches, then performed a hard reset. I rebooted from recovery, and once again it repeatedly restarted itself.

So I loaded a backup, and it stayed powered on. After that I fully shut down the phone and started it, only to have it restart once more. I let it get to the home screen, then did a soft restart through the power button. It booted up and was fine? Powered it down and.... You see where this is going.

The only way I can stop this ridiculous cycle of off and on is constantly restoring a good back up, or the hit and miss method of hitting restart at the home screen. I can't boot normally, from recovery, or into safe mode. It's a very interesting problem that I've never seen before, so I'm hoping someone has.

Default Re: Power Cycling??

Is there any chance the phone is trying to apply an update?

If you have root and the phone updates it causes problems. There appears to have been an OTA on May 06, 2014 from Sprint to patch for Heartbleed. If you are not at version 3.17.651.5 for your firmware, this may be what's happening.
    Find and update the software version on your HTC EVO 4G LTE

Try going into your SuperUser App and removing root, then uninstall the SU App if you need to get the update. Once the update installs, you can reroot.

Default Re: Power Cycling??

Thanks for the response.

I rooted my phone shortly after the update, so unless Sprint released something I don't know about it shouldn't be trying to install anything. I checked my info and I have the firmware version you mentioned.

I'm tempted to fully unroot and see if that makes any difference, but if it were the root causing the issue you would think I would have had this problem right away. A friend of mine suggested I reflash recovery, but I don't see how that would help. Maybe if I flash a different one? I currently have TWRP.

One thing I haven't tried is flashing a custom ROM, only because I get an error saying 'md5 file not found'. That's probably the answer to my problem haha.