DROID DNA: Stuck in bootloader/recovery. How to flash a rom from Fastboot USB?

A

AC Question

Hello All,

Looks like I got myself into a pickle with my DNA......

Right now the only two things I can access on the phone are the bootloader and CWM.

How I got here:

I went into CWM recovery and deleted/formatted everything (absolutely everything that could be deleted and/or formatted), thinking I could flash a radio/firmware upgrade, then the LiquidSmooth rom from adb/fastboot. Been a long time since I've worked with this phone and now all I got is the bootloader and CWM. Thought I could use adb to push the rom zip to the device, then go into recovery and flash it the right way, but when I go to fastboot on the device and use the push command in adb it tells me "error device not found".

Gonna stop right there and seek some advice. What's the best way to correct this mess?

Thanks ahead of time!

PS: Working with a DNA with an unlocked bootloader (S-ON), and it was running the stock rom before the first OTA update. I did make a backup file and save it to my PC before I did anything. But, now adb is suddenly not recognizing that the device is connected so I can't push any files to it.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Do you have what you need flashed on your PC? Sounds like it...

Extract your ROM and use the fastboot flash command. i.e.: fastboot flash radio <filepath>\<radio name>.img. Do the same for bootloader, boot, recovery and system from your extracted ROM...

wizzrah

Retired Ambassador
Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
Hello All,

Looks like I got myself into a pickle with my DNA......

Right now the only two things I can access on the phone are the bootloader and CWM.

How I got here:

I went into CWM recovery and deleted/formatted everything (absolutely everything that could be deleted and/or formatted), thinking I could flash a radio/firmware upgrade, then the LiquidSmooth rom from adb/fastboot. Been a long time since I've worked with this phone and now all I got is the bootloader and CWM. Thought I could use adb to push the rom zip to the device, then go into recovery and flash it the right way, but when I go to fastboot on the device and use the push command in adb it tells me "error device not found".

Gonna stop right there and seek some advice. What's the best way to correct this mess?

Thanks ahead of time!

PS: Working with a DNA with an unlocked bootloader (S-ON), and it was running the stock rom before the first OTA update. I did make a backup file and save it to my PC before I did anything. But, now adb is suddenly not recognizing that the device is connected so I can't push any files to it.

Hi there, do you have the correct drivers installed? If not, install HTC Sync.
HTC Sync Manager

It has the most up to date drivers from HTC.

Also, what type of OS are you using? Windows 7 or 8? Are you using USB 2.0 or 3.0?

And instead of ADB push, you should boot into recovery and use adb sideload to put the ROM on your phone.

Another question I have is, can you go into recovery and mount the phone?

Hackenstein

Jun 11, 2012
Visit site
Hi there, do you have the correct drivers installed? If not, install HTC Sync.
HTC Sync Manager

It has the most up to date drivers from HTC.

Also, what type of OS are you using? Windows 7 or 8? Are you using USB 2.0 or 3.0?

And instead of ADB push, you should boot into recovery and use adb sideload to put the ROM on your phone.

Another question I have is, can you go into recovery and mount the phone?

Hey there,

I'm the OP. Wasn't logged in when I created the post.

First off, thanks for responding. Much appreciated.

Yes, I believe I have the right drivers. Before I deleted everything and could boot into the stock ROM, adb displayed the DNA's info when I did adb devices. Seemed like everything was fine with my PC (Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit, using USB 2.0) recognizing the phone until I goofed up. I totally forgot that I wouldn't be able to upgrade the radio without having S-OFF before I obliterated everything. Only then did I start getting the adb device not found error when connected with fastboot USB.

Just went into CWM recovery, and I can mount everything except the SD card (I'm assuming because the DNA doesn't actually have an SD slot for a hard card).

Hackenstein

Jun 11, 2012
Visit site
Might be that it is trying to find something that is not there. Then again, it might be the ROM. Try a different one.

Sent from my AT&T One XL

The problem with that turned out to be an outdated version of CWM. I updated it, only to find my phone would not get recognized in recovery by adb. Found that with the upgrade I also needed a driver upgrade which I took care of (after I had installed TWRP to test as well, just stuck with TWRP). Was able to flash rom (and it sucks). Looking for another one now that is more of a stock (de-bloated with perks, etc).

When I'm done there, should I run firewater to achieve S-OFF so I can update the radio as well?

wizzrah

Retired Ambassador
Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
The problem with that turned out to be an outdated version of CWM. I updated it, only to find my phone would not get recognized in recovery by adb. Found that with the upgrade I also needed a driver upgrade which I took care of (after I had installed TWRP to test as well, just stuck with TWRP). Was able to flash rom (and it sucks). Looking for another one now that is more of a stock (de-bloated with perks, etc).

When I'm done there, should I run firewater to achieve S-OFF so I can update the radio as well?
By radio, do you mean HBOOT? Sure, you can do it with S-OFF. Also, another perk of S-OFF is that you don't have to flash boot images every time you flash a new ROM. Let me know if you run into trouble with firewater. Should be as easy as clicking a program to start. Make sure you backup in recovery first.

Sent from my AT&T One XL

Hackenstein

Jun 11, 2012
Visit site
By radio, do you mean HBOOT? Sure, you can do it with S-OFF. Also, another perk of S-OFF is that you don't have to flash boot images every time you flash a new ROM. Let me know if you run into trouble with firewater. Should be as easy as clicking a program to start. Make sure you backup in recovery first.

Sent from my AT&T One XL

All of these newer roms are saying my radio, or baseband needs to be updated as well to the latest firmware. A couple years ago the terminology was always the "radio", or the firmware antenna that communicates with the provider's tower.

Another question if I may; I have a second DNA, not unlocked or rooted that took the OTA update when it went out and broke the original unlock/root procedure. Can weaksauce and firewater unlock/root/S-OFF that phone as well?

Thanks!

wizzrah

Retired Ambassador
Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
All of these newer roms are saying my radio, or baseband needs to be updated as well to the latest firmware. A couple years ago the terminology was always the "radio", or the firmware antenna that communicates with the provider's tower.

Another question if I may; I have a second DNA, not unlocked or rooted that took the OTA update when it went out and broke the original unlock/root procedure. Can weaksauce and firewater unlock/root/S-OFF that phone as well?

Thanks!
Usually everything needs to be up to date when you flash a ROM. I would leave that phone alone so you have something to fall on. S-OFF will let you do a lot of things. Could you link to me what you want to flash? I just want to check it out. As for firewater, I'm not entirely sure. I'll have to research that as well.

Sent from my AT&T One XL

Hackenstein

Jun 11, 2012
Visit site
Usually everything needs to be up to date when you flash a ROM. I would leave that phone alone so you have something to fall on. S-OFF will let you do a lot of things. Could you link to me what you want to flash? I just want to check it out. As for firewater, I'm not entirely sure. I'll have to research that as well.

Sent from my AT&T One XL

I tried the LiquidSmooth rom first, and I just didn't like it. Too much was stripped down and I couldn't find dev options anywhere on it. Then, I tried one called TikTak and after it installed the screen went all squiggly if that makes it sense. Wiped and reinstalled it, same result. Now, I'm attempting to install ViperDNA (located here: [Rom] (5.16.14) ViperDNA 4.1.0 | Android 4.4.2 Sense 6 | M8 Port 1.54.401.5 l CDMA/GSM l Venom Tweaks l Venom Pie l Venom Hub l OTA l Themes l Icon Packs l Status Bar Icon Themes and Resizing l Venom Soundenhancer l Venom SideBar l Xposed - xda-devel) but the install hangs indefinitely on 0%. The dev recommends using a beta version of TWRP to install it, and I tried with CWM so that could be it. Gonna flash the version he recommends and try again.

With the other phone; both of these DNA's are retired phones. My wife and I used to use them before getting our Note 3's. Right now I'm basically just trying to max their re-sell value by unlocking/rooting/etc. Would love to know if there is a way to unlock a DNA after the OTA update.

wizzrah

Retired Ambassador
Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
I tried the LiquidSmooth rom first, and I just didn't like it. Too much was stripped down and I couldn't find dev options anywhere on it. Then, I tried one called TikTak and after it installed the screen went all squiggly if that makes it sense. Wiped and reinstalled it, same result. Now, I'm attempting to install ViperDNA (located here: [Rom] (5.16.14) ViperDNA 4.1.0 | Android 4.4.2 Sense 6 | M8 Port 1.54.401.5 l CDMA/GSM l Venom Tweaks l Venom Pie l Venom Hub l OTA l Themes l Icon Packs l Status Bar Icon Themes and Resizing l Venom Soundenhancer l Venom SideBar l Xposed - xda-devel) but the install hangs indefinitely on 0%. The dev recommends using a beta version of TWRP to install it, and I tried with CWM so that could be it. Gonna flash the version he recommends and try again.

With the other phone; both of these DNA's are retired phones. My wife and I used to use them before getting our Note 3's. Right now I'm basically just trying to max their re-sell value by unlocking/rooting/etc. Would love to know if there is a way to unlock a DNA after the OTA update.

Developer options are disabled by default. You have to go to settings>about phone> and tap build number until it says "You are now a developer." I highly recommend TWRP over CWM. It's much easier to use.

Hackenstein

Jun 11, 2012
Visit site
Developer options are disabled by default. You have to go to settings>about phone> and tap build number until it says "You are now a developer." I highly recommend TWRP over CWM. It's much easier to use.

Ah, thank you for that! When I first rooted my DNA I had no idea how I turned dev options on.

That LiquidSmooth was very stripped down still. Didn't even have the play store on it. In the app drawer there was one half fulled page and that was it.

wizzrah

Retired Ambassador
Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
Ah, thank you for that! When I first rooted my DNA I had no idea how I turned dev options on.

That LiquidSmooth was very stripped down still. Didn't even have the play store on it. In the app drawer there was one half fulled page and that was it.

For stock ROMs, you have to flash the Play Store seperately. They are called GApps. This is the case for every stock ROM on every phone as it is illegal to make a stock ROM with Google Apps already in them.

Hackenstein

Jun 11, 2012
Visit site
For stock ROMs, you have to flash the Play Store seperately. They are called GApps. This is the case for every stock ROM on every phone as it is illegal to make a stock ROM with Google Apps already in them.

Lots have changed since I've been active in the hobby. GAPPS weren't a separate thing last time I needed to do this.

Thanks for all your good info. Seriously, much appreciated. Out of five forums I've sought help on, you're the only person who has not only given credible information, but stuck around and continued to converse when I've had additional questions. Good man!

Here's another confusing element I'm dealing with......

So far, I've tried flashing four different ROMs. LiquidSmooth, Tiktak, ViperDNA, and Kitkat (stock).

Viper DNA hangs indefinitely on the loading screen (wiped and flashed three different times, all same result)
Tiktak and Kitkat stock both look fine for second on load screen, then the screen goes all distorted and squiggly, and freezes (photos attached)
So far, LiquidSmooth is the only one that actually works. I flashed it again and enabled dev options to turn on debugging. Would like to try getting S-OFF and upgrading the baseband to the current version thinking maybe that will help getting the Kitkat stock to work.

Any ideas on why the screen is distorting and freezing up on those two ROMs?

DNA-screen-1.jpg

DNA-screen-2.jpg

Hackenstein

Jun 11, 2012
Visit site
UPDATE

Looks like the problem causing the squiggly freeze was the baseband needing to be updated. I had re-flashed LiquidSmooth to get back into Android, enabled USB debugging, followed the firewater procedure, got S-OFF, updated the baseband, then finally I was able to install Kitkat. Looks like this old beast is up and running.

Now, for my wife's old DNA (which is not unlocked and still running stock post-OTA update). This could be fun...............

wizzrah

Retired Ambassador
Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
Lots have changed since I've been active in the hobby. GAPPS weren't a separate thing last time I needed to do this.

Thanks for all your good info. Seriously, much appreciated. Out of five forums I've sought help on, you're the only person who has not only given credible information, but stuck around and continued to converse when I've had additional questions. Good man!

Here's another confusing element I'm dealing with......

So far, I've tried flashing four different ROMs. LiquidSmooth, Tiktak, ViperDNA, and Kitkat (stock).

Viper DNA hangs indefinitely on the loading screen (wiped and flashed three different times, all same result)
Tiktak and Kitkat stock both look fine for second on load screen, then the screen goes all distorted and squiggly, and freezes (photos attached)
So far, LiquidSmooth is the only one that actually works. I flashed it again and enabled dev options to turn on debugging. Would like to try getting S-OFF and upgrading the baseband to the current version thinking maybe that will help getting the Kitkat stock to work.

Any ideas on why the screen is distorting and freezing up on those two ROMs?

View attachment 124792

View attachment 124793
A word of advice, some newer ROMs might require an up to date version of a recovery. Are you using TWRP?

Sent from my AT&T One XL

wizzrah

Retired Ambassador
Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
UPDATE

Looks like the problem causing the squiggly freeze was the baseband needing to be updated. I had re-flashed LiquidSmooth to get back into Android, enabled USB debugging, followed the firewater procedure, got S-OFF, updated the baseband, then finally I was able to install Kitkat. Looks like this old beast is up and running.

Now, for my wife's old DNA (which is not unlocked and still running stock post-OTA update). This could be fun...............
Nice! Good thing firewater worked. S-OFF will definitely help with a lot of things.

Sent from my AT&T One XL

Hackenstein

Jun 11, 2012
Visit site
Nice! Good thing firewater worked. S-OFF will definitely help with a lot of things.

Sent from my AT&T One XL

If it ain't one thing, it's something else......

Now my wife's old stock DNA won't power on at all. Was working fine the other day when I copied her data off of it. Did a graceful power down that night so I could work on my phone and now her's seems completely dead all of a sudden. No LED light at all when I plug in either a wall charger or USB cable from PC. Holding pwr does nothing. Pwr plus vol down does nothing. Pwr plus vol up, nothing. Pwr plus vol up and down does nothing.

I've googled the issue and it seems it is somewhat known with people recommending all sorts of things to try to fix it. So far nothing has worked. Only thing I have left to do out of their suggestions is to break the seal and crack the phone open and reseat the battery which is a major pain to get to.

Have you seen this issue?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
educationalco22