screen or digitizer needs to be replaced samsung galaxy s4?

MilGoe10

May 15, 2014
Visit site
I accidentally sat on my phone and now it looks like it has spiderwebs on the screen. I read something about a screen and a digitizer so I am not sure which needs to be replaced. The phone still works as the led is blinking red and the back and menu button still light up just the screen is blank. I saw a screen for about $40 and a digitizer can be up to $200. I have insurance with a $99 deductible so I was wondering if it would be cheaper to buy what it needs or pay the deductible? I would post pictures but I can't figure out how to do that withe the app.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Good rule of thumb is you replace both. They are basically " one piece " even though they are separate. The work and risk involved to separate the glass and digitizer is not worth the effort IMO. Better off just replacing both and doing it right the first time.

Might be worth just paying the deductible and getting a new/refurb phone.

Last edited:

wizzrah

Retired Ambassador
Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
I accidentally sat on my phone and now it looks like it has spiderwebs on the screen. I read something about a screen and a digitizer so I am not sure which needs to be replaced. The phone still works as the led is blinking red and the back and menu button still light up just the screen is blank. I saw a screen for about $40 and a digitizer can be up to $200. I have insurance with a $99 deductible so I was wondering if it would be cheaper to buy what it needs or pay the deductible? I would post pictures but I can't figure out how to do that withe the app.
Does touch input still work? As to replacing either one, it depends how deep the cracks are. The digitizer and glass front are sandwiched together. So it is easy to break both at the same time. Here are some steps on how to replace the screen if you decide that you yourself want to do it. https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Samsung+Galaxy+S4+Cracked+Front+Glass+Replacement/21843. Otherwise, if you have insurance, I would turn it in for repair. It would be easier to just replace both at the same time.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jm_rookie2