Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Paul627g
  • 1 Post By wizzrah
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default screen or digitizer needs to be replaced samsung galaxy s4?

I accidentally sat on my phone and now it looks like it has spiderwebs on the screen. I read something about a screen and a digitizer so I am not sure which needs to be replaced. The phone still works as the led is blinking red and the back and menu button still light up just the screen is blank. I saw a screen for about $40 and a digitizer can be up to $200. I have insurance with a $99 deductible so I was wondering if it would be cheaper to buy what it needs or pay the deductible? I would post pictures but I can't figure out how to do that withe the app.

Default Re: screen or digitizer needs to be replaced samsung galaxy s4?

Good rule of thumb is you replace both. They are basically " one piece " even though they are separate. The work and risk involved to separate the glass and digitizer is not worth the effort IMO. Better off just replacing both and doing it right the first time.

Might be worth just paying the deductible and getting a new/refurb phone.
    Last edited by Paul627g; 06-22-2014 at 04:05 PM.
    Paul
    Moderator Team Leader @ Android Central

I am the Tegra Champ. What this means is that from time to time NVIDIA might send me new products to try out. This will not affect my thoughts, ideas, or opinions about any product that are discussed in the forums. Those are still my own.
    wizzrah likes this.

Global Posts
    3,934 Global Posts
    ROM
    Phoenix 1.6 Sense 5 4.2.2

Default Re: screen or digitizer needs to be replaced samsung galaxy s4?

Quote Originally Posted by MilGoe10 View Post
    I accidentally sat on my phone and now it looks like it has spiderwebs on the screen. I read something about a screen and a digitizer so I am not sure which needs to be replaced. The phone still works as the led is blinking red and the back and menu button still light up just the screen is blank. I saw a screen for about $40 and a digitizer can be up to $200. I have insurance with a $99 deductible so I was wondering if it would be cheaper to buy what it needs or pay the deductible? I would post pictures but I can't figure out how to do that withe the app.
    Does touch input still work? As to replacing either one, it depends how deep the cracks are. The digitizer and glass front are sandwiched together. So it is easy to break both at the same time. Here are some steps on how to replace the screen if you decide that you yourself want to do it. https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Samsung...lacement/21843. Otherwise, if you have insurance, I would turn it in for repair. It would be easier to just replace both at the same time.
    Last edited by wizzrah; 06-22-2014 at 04:11 PM.
    “Knowing how to think empowers you far beyond those who know only what to think.” - Neil deGrasse Tyson

In September of 2014 comes the greatest tool to modify almost any HTC phone. Unlock bootloader, flash recovery, root, and more. Open sourced, powerful, powered by the cloud via SSL, and best of all, it's 100% free. All built by me. Get ready to rock!

Paul627g likes this.