Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 21 of 21
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default GALAXY GEAR: Replacing UK stock ROM with US stock ROM

    Recently I completely wiped my galaxy gear and had to flash the UK stock ROM in order for it to work. Now that I want root my gear, it is not recognized by Cydia Impactor, CMD(for adb purposes) or ODIN. My computer recognizes my gear so I have obviously installed the right drivers but I can't go much further than that. I was able to root me gear when I had the original stock ROM on it (US version). Is there any way to restore the US version back on my galaxy gear??
  2. #2  
    Golfdriver97's Avatar

    Posts
    21,800 Posts
    Global Posts
    22,240 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

    Default Re: GALAXY GEAR: Replacing UK stock ROM with US stock ROM

    If Odin can't recognize it, then probably not. The bootloader may have been altered when the ROM from a different region was flashed.

    Phone Timeline
    'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Community Guidelines and also here
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

    Default Re: GALAXY GEAR: Replacing UK stock ROM with US stock ROM

    Quote Originally Posted by Golfdriver97 View Post
    If Odin can't recognize it, then probably not. The bootloader may have been altered when the ROM from a different region was flashed.
    Correction, I apologize, Odin DOES recognize it but the flash will only get to a certain point. I tried to flash a custom recovery on it and it starts flashing but then stops when the box hits ID:0/004> NAND WRITE START
  4. #4  
    Golfdriver97's Avatar

    Posts
    21,800 Posts
    Global Posts
    22,240 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

    Default Re: GALAXY GEAR: Replacing UK stock ROM with US stock ROM

    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Skepple View Post
    Correction, I apologize, Odin DOES recognize it but the flash will only get to a certain point. I tried to flash a custom recovery on it and it starts flashing but then stops when the box hits ID:0/004> NAND WRITE START
    Ok. I am still under the impression that the bootloader was changed when the different ROM was flashed. That would explain why Odin has issues now.

    Phone Timeline
    'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Community Guidelines and also here
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

    Default Re: GALAXY GEAR: Replacing UK stock ROM with US stock ROM

    Quote Originally Posted by Golfdriver97 View Post
    Ok. I am still under the impression that the bootloader was changed when the different ROM was flashed. That would explain why Odin has issues now.
    So does that mean it is impossible to root the GG?
  6. #6  
    Golfdriver97's Avatar

    Posts
    21,800 Posts
    Global Posts
    22,240 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

    Default Re: GALAXY GEAR: Replacing UK stock ROM with US stock ROM

    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Skepple View Post
    So does that mean it is impossible to root the GG?
    Most likely, especially if Odin is needed. I just thought of something. Have you tried redownloading the file? The download might be bad.

    Phone Timeline
    'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Community Guidelines and also here
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

    Default Re: GALAXY GEAR: Replacing UK stock ROM with US stock ROM

    Quote Originally Posted by Golfdriver97 View Post
    Most likely, especially if Odin is needed. I just thought of something. Have you tried redownloading the file? The download might be bad.
    which file? the TWRP recovery or the UK ROM?
  8. #8  
    Golfdriver97's Avatar

    Posts
    21,800 Posts
    Global Posts
    22,240 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

    Default Re: GALAXY GEAR: Replacing UK stock ROM with US stock ROM

    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Skepple View Post
    which file? the UK ROM or the TWRP recovery?
    Do you have the US ROM as a TWRP backup?

    Phone Timeline
    'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Community Guidelines and also here
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

    Default Re: GALAXY GEAR: Replacing UK stock ROM with US stock ROM

    Golfdriver97 for some reason I can't see passed the post about redownloading the file but it seems you can still see my response because I'm getting notifications. I'm going to message you
  10. #10  
    Golfdriver97's Avatar

    Posts
    21,800 Posts
    Global Posts
    22,240 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

    Default Re: GALAXY GEAR: Replacing UK stock ROM with US stock ROM

    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Skepple View Post
    Golfdriver97 for some reason I can't see passed the post about redownloading the file but it seems you can still see my response because I'm getting notifications. I'm going to message you
    Ok, check out post #8 (my last reply), and we can go from there.

    Phone Timeline
    'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Community Guidelines and also here
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

    Default Re: GALAXY GEAR: Replacing UK stock ROM with US stock ROM

    Quote Originally Posted by Golfdriver97 View Post
    Do you have the US ROM as a TWRP backup?
    ok so apparently my posts have to be approved before they are visible which is why it took me so long to respond...no I don't believe so. The problem is that I don't even have recovery anymore. That's the file I was trying to flash when I kept running into the ODIN issue. I was trying to get recovery back on my GG then see if somehow the ROM was stored somehow
  12. #12  
    Golfdriver97's Avatar

    Posts
    21,800 Posts
    Global Posts
    22,240 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

    Default Re: GALAXY GEAR: Replacing UK stock ROM with US stock ROM

    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Skepple View Post
    ok so apparently my posts have to be approved before they are visible which is why it took me so long to respond...no I don't believe so. The problem is that I don't even have recovery anymore. That's the file I was trying to flash when I kept running into the ODIN issue. I was trying to get recovery back on my GG then see if somehow the ROM was stored somehow
    Ok. I think I get this now. I would try downloading the whole stock ROM.

    Phone Timeline
    'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Community Guidelines and also here
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

    Default Re: GALAXY GEAR: Replacing UK stock ROM with US stock ROM

    Quote Originally Posted by Golfdriver97 View Post
    Ok. I think I get this now. I would try downloading the whole stock ROM.
    what do you mean? I went on the Samsungmobile site to download it.
  14. #14  
    Golfdriver97's Avatar

    Posts
    21,800 Posts
    Global Posts
    22,240 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

    Default Re: GALAXY GEAR: Replacing UK stock ROM with US stock ROM

    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Skepple View Post
    what do you mean? I went on the Samsungmobile site to download it.
    Can you post a link, please?

    Phone Timeline
    'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Community Guidelines and also here
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #15  

    Default Re: GALAXY GEAR: Replacing UK stock ROM with US stock ROM

    Quote Originally Posted by Golfdriver97 View Post
    Can you post a link, please?
    Firmware archive | Samsung Updates -this is the site I downloaded from

    [18.11] SM-V700 (Galaxy Gear) STOCK ROMS COLLECTION (Newest: V700XXUAMK7) - xda-developers is where I looked to find out which file to download
  16. #16  
    Golfdriver97's Avatar

    Posts
    21,800 Posts
    Global Posts
    22,240 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

    Default Re: GALAXY GEAR: Replacing UK stock ROM with US stock ROM

    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Skepple View Post
    Firmware archive | Samsung Updates -this is the site I downloaded from

    [18.11] SM-V700 (Galaxy Gear) STOCK ROMS COLLECTION (Newest: V700XXUAMK7) - xda-developers is where I looked to find out which file to download
    I would try downloading that file again. See if it helps. Also try different cables and USB ports.

    Phone Timeline
    'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Community Guidelines and also here
  17. Thread Author  Thread Author    #17  

    Default Re: GALAXY GEAR: Replacing UK stock ROM with US stock ROM

    Quote Originally Posted by Golfdriver97 View Post
    I would try downloading that file again. See if it helps. Also try different cables and USB ports.
    ok I'll give it a shot. Thanks!
  18. Thread Author  Thread Author    #18  

    Default Re: GALAXY GEAR: Replacing UK stock ROM with US stock ROM

    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Skepple View Post
    ok I'll give it a shot. Thanks!
    It only went one step further past the NAND WRITE START notification, I unplugged it and now it's saying "firmware upgrade issue encountered...", with the yellow icon. I don't think there's a way to recover from this is there
  19. #19  
    Golfdriver97's Avatar

    Posts
    21,800 Posts
    Global Posts
    22,240 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

    Default Re: GALAXY GEAR: Replacing UK stock ROM with US stock ROM

    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Skepple View Post
    It only went one step further past the NAND WRITE START notification, I unplugged it and now it's saying "firmware upgrade issue encountered...", with the yellow icon. I don't think there's a way to recover from this is there
    You might be able to through a JTAG service. If not, then I don't think so.

    From a Carbon M8 and AC Forums app

    Phone Timeline
    'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Community Guidelines and also here
  20. Thread Author  Thread Author    #20  

    Default Re: GALAXY GEAR: Replacing UK stock ROM with US stock ROM

    Quote Originally Posted by Golfdriver97 View Post
    You might be able to through a JTAG service. If not, then I don't think so.

    From a Carbon M8 and AC Forums app
    What is JTAG? I'm still somewhat of a novice, especially with this type of jargon
  21. #21  
    Golfdriver97's Avatar

    Posts
    21,800 Posts
    Global Posts
    22,240 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

    Default Re: GALAXY GEAR: Replacing UK stock ROM with US stock ROM

    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Skepple View Post
    What is JTAG? I'm still somewhat of a novice, especially with this type of jargon
    I don't know the acronym, but basically, at least for a smartphone, it can force the stock ROM onto a device. Since smart watches are so new, I am not sure they will work like that.

    From a Carbon M8 and AC Forums app

    Phone Timeline
    'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Community Guidelines and also here

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 12-05-2014, 10:03 AM
  2. Lg G3 os on Galaxy s5?
    By Riley Ancona in forum Ask a Question
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 06-27-2014, 08:48 AM
  3. Default Messaging gone Galaxy S5
    By tomadamsphoto in forum Samsung Galaxy S5
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06-23-2014, 11:51 AM
  4. Samsung Galaxy S2 Won't turn on
    By AC Question in forum Ask a Question
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-22-2014, 10:14 PM
  5. Galaxy S4 car bluetooth not recognising my contacts
    By AC Question in forum Ask a Question
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-22-2014, 09:55 PM

Posting Permissions