Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Unhappy Help! file is read only

I have a Galaxy S4 clone, Star I9500 W.

I changed the build.prob file in the system directory with a file manager on the phone. Now it won't boot. All I get is the word android, upside-down. I can access the build.prob file with the adb shell, but can't change it back because it is read only. I tried to get write access by typing “su” but then I am supposed to hit a button on the phone which is still only displaying “android” (upside-down). Is there another way I can get write privileges to change the file back to what it was before I started messing around?

Global Posts
    4,726 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Kitkat

Default Re: Help! file is read only

Quote Originally Posted by Babu_Simba View Post
    I have a Galaxy S4 clone, Star I9500 W.

I changed the build.prob file in the system directory with a file manager on the phone. Now it won't boot. All I get is the word android, upside-down. I can access the build.prob file with the adb shell, but can't change it back because it is read only. I tried to get write access by typing “su” but then I am supposed to hit a button on the phone which is still only displaying “android” (upside-down). Is there another way I can get write privileges to change the file back to what it was before I started messing around?
    Hello.
    Is there a recovery on the phone? Can you mount it on a PC?
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

There is a 3e recovery on the phone. I can not mount the phone with USB but can access it with debugging bridge. In adb I run shell and can see the files but can't wright or change them because they are mounted read only. I am trying to re-install the original build.prob file. Thanks for your reply.

Global Posts
    4,726 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Kitkat

There is a 3e recovery on the phone. I can not mount the phone with USB but can access it with debugging bridge. In adb I run shell and can see the files but can't wright or change them because they are mounted read only. I am trying to re-install the original build.prob file. Thanks for your reply.
    Is the phone rooted? Changing the permissions of non-system files does not require root, otherwise, you will need root to change the permissions on system files.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Yes, the phone is rooted, but I can't get root access on my computer, through adb, which is the only way I know to get to the file.

Global Posts
    4,726 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Kitkat

Yes, the phone is rooted, but I can't get root access on my computer, through adb, which is the only way I know to get to the file.
    Are you able to do a factory reset in recovery?

Also, maybe this will help you: http://www.gizbeat.com/2103/how-to-c...s-through-adb/