Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Unhappy Help! file is read only

I have a Galaxy S4 clone, Star I9500 W.

I changed the build.prob file in the system directory with a file manager on the phone. Now it won't boot. All I get is the word android, upside-down. I can access the build.prob file with the adb shell, but can't change it back because it is read only. I tried to get write access by typing “su” but then I am supposed to hit a button on the phone which is still only displaying “android” (upside-down). Is there another way I can get write privileges to change the file back to what it was before I started messing around?

Global Posts
    4,593 Global Posts
    ROM
    I'M RUNNING STOCK BABY!

Default Re: Help! file is read only

Quote Originally Posted by Babu_Simba View Post
    I have a Galaxy S4 clone, Star I9500 W.

I changed the build.prob file in the system directory with a file manager on the phone. Now it won't boot. All I get is the word android, upside-down. I can access the build.prob file with the adb shell, but can't change it back because it is read only. I tried to get write access by typing “su” but then I am supposed to hit a button on the phone which is still only displaying “android” (upside-down). Is there another way I can get write privileges to change the file back to what it was before I started messing around?
    Hello.
    Is there a recovery on the phone? Can you mount it on a PC?

"In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." - Abraham Lincoln
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

There is a 3e recovery on the phone. I can not mount the phone with USB but can access it with debugging bridge. In adb I run shell and can see the files but can't wright or change them because they are mounted read only. I am trying to re-install the original build.prob file. Thanks for your reply.

Global Posts
    4,593 Global Posts
    ROM
    I'M RUNNING STOCK BABY!

There is a 3e recovery on the phone. I can not mount the phone with USB but can access it with debugging bridge. In adb I run shell and can see the files but can't wright or change them because they are mounted read only. I am trying to re-install the original build.prob file. Thanks for your reply.
    Is the phone rooted? Changing the permissions of non-system files does not require root, otherwise, you will need root to change the permissions on system files.

"In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." - Abraham Lincoln
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Yes, the phone is rooted, but I can't get root access on my computer, through adb, which is the only way I know to get to the file.

Global Posts
    4,593 Global Posts
    ROM
    I'M RUNNING STOCK BABY!

Yes, the phone is rooted, but I can't get root access on my computer, through adb, which is the only way I know to get to the file.
    Are you able to do a factory reset in recovery?

Also, maybe this will help you: http://www.gizbeat.com/2103/how-to-c...s-through-adb/