Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
+ Reply to Thread Subscribe to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By AC Question
  • 1 Post By oditius
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    AC Question

Question Do Android app updates decrease internal storage space?

(Q1):

Do Android app updates keep decreasing the available internal storage space on smartphones and tablets?

(A1):

(Q2):

If they do, would that mean my 32GB Samsung 12.2" Galaxy Note Pro tablet will eventually run out of available internal storage space?

(A2):

(Q3):

If my smartphone or tablet does run out of available internal storage, can more internal storage be made available by uninstalling the apps then reinstalling them at their latest version?

(A3):

(Q4):

Or is my only option to either move apps to an external micro SD card or simply just buy a new smartphone at its latest model of my current model?

(A4):

(Q5):

Would the same scenario apply to an iPhone and iPad?

(A5):

Thanks guys, really looking forward to your answers.
    mymckerrell likes this.

Default Re: Do Android app updates decrease internal storage space?

I have posted this question of mine on a few different sites but nobody seems to know the answer unfortunately. Just hoping to get my question answered here on this site. Thanks guys.

Global Posts
    841 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by AC Question View Post
    (Q1):

Do Android app updates keep decreasing the available internal storage space on smartphones and tablets?

(A1): Depends on the update. They try to give more with less space. But adding features can consume space. But not a lot.

(Q2):

If they do, would that mean my 32GB Samsung 12.2" Galaxy Note Pro tablet will eventually run out of available internal storage space?

(A2): the update overwrites the old files so that isn't likely to happen.

(Q3):

If my smartphone or tablet does run out of available internal storage, can more internal storage be made available by uninstalling the apps then reinstalling them at their latest version?

(A3): The OS won't take that much room, and updating overwrites the old with the new, so not a lot of change

(Q4):

Or is my only option to either move apps to an external micro SD card or simply just buy a new smartphone at its latest model of my current model?

(A4): If you run out of space it will be because you have way too many apps

(Q5):

(A5): Don't own any.

Thanks guys, really looking forward to your answers.
    You are worrying too much about space, your phone will be an antique by the time you fill it up with needed apps. At one time I had about 400 apps installed and still had room for more. I load all my pictures and music on the SD card, also have them backed up to the clouds.

Sent from my AT&T HTC One M8 via Tapatalk.
    Oditius (HTC One M8 & Nokia Lumia 1520 w/AT&T & Dell Venue Pro II 128GB Tab)
    _________________________________________________________________________________
    Wife says I am spending too much time on computer.

But I do stop when I go to bed, so it's not like I spend 24/7 on it!!!

Thanked by:
    mymckerrell likes this.

(Q1):

(A1):
    I'm not 100% here but seeing how you have the option to " uninstall updates " on most apps, specifically " system or stock apps " the original app file is on the device then a separate update file that has been downloaded. So the file size may increase or decrease over time depending on the size of the latest update package. As for the update itself, from what I can tell looking at my rooted device in the appropriate location the newest update overwrites the old one so its not like you have multiple update packages laying there taking up space. So simple answer is, yes it can slowly nibble away at your internal storage but its minimal when it comes to the actual updates you will make a bigger dent by adding more apps and personal media (pics,video, etc).

(Q2):

(A2):
    See answer above.

(Q3):

(A3):
    Not goting to make a difference really. The work you would go thru to regain a very MINIMAL amount of memory isn't worth the hassle in my book. Consider making good use of cloud storage via Google or a 3rd party like Dropbox (free) for some of your non app related content. If your device(s) support it, sdcard.
    (Q4):

(A4):
    If the option is supported to move to sdcard then go for it.

(A5):
    Couldn't tell you the answer, I don't own one.
    Paul
    Moderator Team Leader @ Android Central