Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default 'No Sim inserted' error Samsung SGH i717 Unlocked & Rooted

So, I have been doing research for WEEKS regarding this problem. The only thing that I have been able to conclude from the hours spent reading online, is that this is a very common problem, and I can't seem to find one solution. This has left me very frustrated, so I have decided to create yet another thread regarding this topic.

I have a Samsung SGH i717 from AT&T. The phone is unlocked, I purchased it on ebay. First, the charging port went, so I replaced that successfully. Then, while I was in Jamaica, I used a digicel sim card for the week I was there. The phone worked fine, but about three days before I returned home, I kept getting the 'Insert Sim' message. I would move the sim card around and push down on it to get a better connection, and that seemed to work....for about two weeks. It stopped working completely. I then:

1- Put the sim card in another phone to see if it was the card, the sim card worked in another phone.
    2-Put a different sim card, that I knew worked, in the phone and it didn't read the card.
    3- Did a factory reset and wiped the phone clean.
    4- Replaced the sim card tray, three times. that didn't work. I'm thinking about replacing the antenna.
    5- Updated the phone to the latest version of JellyBean using Samsung Kies
    6- Rooted the phone and am using Cynogen9

If anyone has any other suggestion, Please, I am begging you, let me know!

Thank you!!!

Global Posts
    22,135 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

Default Re: 'No Sim inserted' error Samsung SGH i717 Unlocked & Rooted

I am guessing it is hardware related. You have tried a couple things that should, and did eliminate a faulty SIM card.

Phone Timeline
    'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Community Guidelines and also here

Default Re: 'No Sim inserted' error Samsung SGH i717 Unlocked & Rooted

Any fix for this yet?

I too have tried all the above methods (except replacing the SIM socket). Nothing wiorks

In everything I have read, I see no reason WHY the SIM can't be read. The only thing I see in common is a hacked OS, often Cyanogenmod.

ANYBODY else with experience here??? (not opinions, experience)