Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default HTC One (M8) resetting to factory (unassisted)?

I got the M8 about 8 days ago (had been with Apple since gen1). Today, I checked the time on my phone, slid it into my pocket and walked back to my office. Maybe 5 minutes had passed. When I pulled it from my pocket, I noticed the red Verizon screen, then the set up wizard. Having a phone reset itself to factory settings and losing everything I had on it a week in is a bit unsettling. I have an Otterbox on it and the screen was against my leg, so access to any controls was limited. What could cause this? Is this a common issue for M8's?

Unless the Verizon store employee set up my Backup, it wasn't backed up. I see the Backup and Reset option in Settings, but I don't see a way to restore from a backup (if one exists on my Google account), or a way to manually backup. Are these options available? If so, where can I find them?

Default Re: HTC One (M8) resetting to factory (unassisted)?

It sounds like some catastrophic failure that caused a total factory reset. Pretty uncommon, and not something I've heard of as specific for the M8. Probably just a defective unit.