What's the point of unlocking bootloader / rooting?

A

AC Question

Hey everyone. I just got an M8 today, been a long time iPhone user. The guy I was talking to when I bought it was saying I should unlock the bootloader and root it asap. I jailbroke an iPhone 3 a long time ago and it was pretty cool, mostly for the free apps. But from what I can tell (from my very limited knowledge) unlocking the bootloader and rooting the M8 will give me access to custom cosmetic elements as well as getting rid of bloatware and such. So android users that know way more about this than me, what advantages are there to unlocking/rooting? More cool games/programs? Thanks!

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Rooting allows root access for apps and unlocking the bootloader will let you install ROMs. I wouldn't do this if you're not very experienced only because you can kill your phone.. An iPhone you can always restore but flashing ROMs can be dangerous if done incorrectly.

Also to use these methods for gaining free apps is illegal and also wrong. Developers work hard on their apps so stealing them isn't cool... Support your devs.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.